Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boot error "Disk read error, press ctrl+alt+del"

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  rickiz 
#1 ·
my HDD is WD800
I buy half year d... recently always show the error msg when booting...
"Disk read error, press ctrl+alt+del to restart"...
i try b4 to plug the SATA cable of my HDD out and plug it in...
and boot again... sometimes can go into window like normal...
Now the problem came again....
Plz help!... ty

#3 ·
i change already previously... a new SATA cable that came wit me when buy the pc...
then it is fine again.. and just now afternoon when i on my pc... it happen again... booting error... and i try to shut down n open again in few time trying...
Can boot into window normally...
I juz scared wat serious thing will happen.. next... is it anyway to found out what is wrong?

ty for reply... ^^

#4 ·
goto western digitals website and download a utilities program to check the HD. i'd also backup data now, while you have the chance.

what is your PSU make and model. quite often spurous makes can cause errors involving the HD. when buying a PSU, the wattage isn't the only thing to consider. the good ones will specify the AMPs on the 12V line and you are looking for something up around 26A and more.

#6 ·

if you look at the PSU specs you should see something like the image above. on the 12Vs there are 2 lines, 10A and 15A which is 25A in total. most techs here recommend 36A, but this depends on your setup. so the high 20's to start with really. a cheap PSU might only have 1 line using 17A.

if the AMPs are much lower then devices might not be getting the power they need and hence they might fail or not function properly. here is a post on PSUs if you feel like a good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.