Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Best Xbox(Non-Slim) HDD Storage?

This is a discussion on Best Xbox(Non-Slim) HDD Storage? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I had a 120GB HDD for my xbox a few weeks ago until it suddenly just died on me.

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I had a 120GB HDD for my xbox a few weeks ago until it suddenly just died on me. I was thinking about purchasing another one, but I do not want something like that to happen again; I lost a lot of saves! I was also thinking of buying an external HDD(ex: 500GB) to save $$$? Would that be possible? My main concern is just to install games on the HDD to reduce loading times/console noise/disc spinning. I've heard of some restrictions that Xbox will only allow a 16GB external/flash drive to be read, is that true? Not quite sure how it works =\

Well anyway, my primary question:

What would be the cheapest/best solution to Xbox(Non-Slim) storage for installing games on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

Yes i believe it is true about the 16GB flash drives.

Xbox use a standard sata laptop drive as there hard drive, I also believe there is a limit of 250GB max (Unconfirmed). You will also need a special DOS tool for flashing your new drive to an xbox recognised format (fat-32,NTFS dont work).

Thanks,
Altie
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1tecice View Post
Yes i believe it is true about the 16GB flash drives.

Xbox use a standard sata laptop drive as there hard drive, I also believe there is a limit of 250GB max (Unconfirmed). You will also need a special DOS tool for flashing your new drive to an xbox recognised format (fat-32,NTFS dont work).

Thanks,
Altie
Thanks for the reply,

The 16GB limit only applies to flash drives? A 250GB external HDD would be an optimal choice for installing games? I would just have to format the external HDD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

Yes Microsoft Xbox has a limit of 16GB for flash drives. I suspect the reason they have done this is to force users to buy official Xbox hard drives.

With 250GB you could fit many games at once, Nothing stopping you un installing a game (but not the save) then reinstalling it at a later date.

Thanks,
Altie
Closed Thread