Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Best Hard Drive For Primary Use?

This is a discussion on Best Hard Drive For Primary Use? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. People, What's the best Hard Drive for performing the function of Primary Drive in a PC? My new Dell came

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 04:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

Question

People,

What's the best Hard Drive for performing the function of Primary Drive in a PC?

My new Dell came with an Ultra. Soon after, I installed a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus as my secondary drive, for audio data (I do a lot of work in digital audio multitracking/recording apps . . . SONAR, WaveLab, etc. The Maxtor is where my audio data resides.)

I'm going to be replacing my OEM Operating System (Microsoft/Dell XP) with an off-the-shelf version of Microsoft XP; & I thought I would load it onto a new Primary Drive.

The Maxtors are great for audio data, due to their high density platters, but I was curious as to which drive mfg. would be the best for running the OS, apps, etc. . . . all the functions of the primary drive . . . & if one was better than another.

Thanks,

mark4man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 06:21 AM   #2
Citizen of the world

I've started using either the Maxtor or WD 7200RPM models with the 8mb cache, makes a significant difference in drive performance over the other drives. I haven't used one yet, but I assume the 7200 RPM 8mb cache Seagate would be a similar performer.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:46 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnwill
I've started using either the Maxtor or WD 7200RPM models with the 8mb cache, makes a significant difference in drive performance over the other drives. I haven't used one yet, but I assume the 7200 RPM 8mb cache Seagate would be a similar performer.
Hay John if your talking about that 8Mb caches than yeah it does make a difference. I had 80Gb 7200RPM drive with a 8Mb cache on my old Dell PIII 800Mhz. I could see a noticeable deference over 2Mb cache 7200RPM drives.

As for what kind of hard drives to buy, I think a Maxtor or Western Digital would do just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2003, 03:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

johnwill & Javora,

Thanks man. Have been hearing good things about both WD & Maxtor.

mark4man
Old 10-11-2003, 04:06 PM   #5

Here are a comparison using 8mb vs. 2mb cache ATA133 drives...makes a difference in benchmarks but I found no difference in real world audio recording...check the bottom of the post for sound forge comparison.

the newer 8mb Maxtor's are cheaper then the others..so go with 8mb.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:17 PM   #6
Citizen of the world

Actually, I have a 120gig 7200 RPM WD with the 2mb cache, and one with the 8mb cache. In large file copies, > 1gig, the 8mb cache outpaced the 2mb cache by over 20%. Both drives were clean when the test started, partitioned into two 60gig partitions. That test convinced me to restrict future purchases to 8mb cache drives. :)
Old 10-11-2003, 06:14 PM   #7
Registered Member

x5dr,

Good stuff. Thanks.

mark4man
Old 10-11-2003, 10:16 PM   #8
Guru

Some months back I did a very rough chart to help me decide among several different brands. I think it was done to try to make sense of the data in some review(s). When I saw your post I found it again and had a look.

To sum up my point, there are a lot of things to consider besides pure read/write speed. Read reviews and find out. For example IBM drives were by far the quietest, but for some reason also ran the hottest. Western Digital's were the exact opposite of this: noisy yet cool. Maxtor's were sort of middle-of-the-road, yet scored pretty consistently well in all the benchmarks. Conversely, Seagates scored consistently poorer than other brands in almost all areas.

Initially I had chosen Western Digital based on cool-running and top scores in numerous benchmarks. But the noise factor plus some other things, helped sway me to the Maxtor's (6Y160M0 and 6Y160P0) and so far I've been happy.

-clintfan
Old 10-12-2003, 07:13 AM   #9
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

clintfan,

That's good to know . . . thanks.

I was almost sold on WD unitil I read your post. Noise is a factor for me, because my PC serves as a DAW in my project studio.

Probably go with Maxtor now.

Thanks again,

mark4man
Old 10-12-2003, 08:40 AM   #10

definitely go with the Maxtor for recording...they are quieter. (or do what I did and move it into the closet)

Office Depot always has the best deals. They often have the Maxtor 120gb ATA 133/8mb cache for $59 after rebates. That would be a cheap RAID setup. CompUSA also sells it as an OEM drive. Check the model number and the rebates are also from Maxtor.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:04 AM   #11
Citizen of the world

Home Depot? I have never even seen any computer components in Home Depot!

I just went to the Home Depot site, and they don't seem to know what a disk drive is.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:01 AM   #12

LOL!...I had already caught that mistake before your post...OFFICE DEPOT...:tongue2:

They are almost next to each other in my area and I go to both all the time....I probably recommend the great powertools at Office Depot from time to time.:D

From last week...

Storage & Memory: Maxtor 120GB IDE Hard Drive: $69.84 Shipped A/R - From 10/06/2003 to 10/07/2003
OfficeDepot.com is offering the new, retail boxed Maxtor L01P120 120 Gigabyte Internal Ultra ATA/133 Hard Drive for $119.84. Enter coupon code "52381099" to save $20, and then a $30 mail-in rebate yields a final price of $69.84. The drive runs at 7200 RPM and has an 8MB cache. Ground shipping is Free. Coupon & rebate both expire 10/11/03.

3 weeks ago...

Storage & Memory: Maxtor 120GB IDE Hard Drive: $59.84 Shipped A/R - From 09/23/2003 to 09/24/2003
Office Depot is offering the new, retail boxed Maxtor L01P120 120 Gigabyte Internal Ultra ATA/133 Hard Drive for $79.84 after a $30 mail-in rebate (exp 9/27). Use coupon code "79253059" (exp 9/30) during checkout to save another $20, for a final price of $59.84. Ground shipping is Free. The drive operates at 7200 RPM and has an 8MB cache.

Old 10-14-2003, 12:09 PM   #13
Citizen of the world

OfficeDepot, OfficeMax, Staples, and CompUSA regularly run really good rebate deals on lots of computer stuff. If you are patient, you can usually make some really great deals! :D
Old 10-14-2003, 12:50 PM   #14

Good advice!
A couple years ago I received a 5" b&w TV and a 4.1 speaker system for free with the purchase of a hard drive at OfficeMax! They run modems, sound cards, media card readers, CD-RW's, etc. for free after rebate quite often. Be sure to check ads for these stores! You could build a free computer almost!
Old 10-14-2003, 03:24 PM   #15
Citizen of the world

Since March of this year, I've received over $4000 in rebates on about $4400 worth of computer equipment. I feel I've been overcharged if I spend more than 10 cents on the dollar, and a lot of the stuff is gotten for nothing. :)
Old 10-15-2003, 04:04 AM   #16

Perhaps when we see huge deals at large chain stores, we could post our findings in a forum so that our fellow forum readers can take advantage of these deals as well.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:18 AM   #17

I generally don't pay attention to those rebate offers. They take forever to get them and the company might give you a hassle when trying to cash them in.

I also do audio like a few others here, and my choice has always been Maxtor drives.

Well, I was trying to go cheap and didn't have a lot of money left in my budget, so I picked up a Maxtor 7200 RPM 40GB drive with a 2MB cache. For now, it does what I need it to do, and with my PC confuguration it is pretty fast. It runs cool and is so quiet I cannot hear it even with my ear next to the case! Yeah, I know I could have had twice the storage for only $20 more, but, oh well, right now, 40GB is more than enough for me at this time.

I had heard bad stuff about Seagate drives so I just decided to stay away from them. I have heard good things about WD, but yoiu know about brand loyalty, I just stuck with Maxtor.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:00 AM   #18
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally posted by music freak
I generally don't pay attention to those rebate offers. They take forever to get them and the company might give you a hassle when trying to cash them in...
I think I can state with assurance that rebates are honored across the board, as you can see, I have the experience. :) I have never had any kind of a hassle from the rebate processing.

I keep a copy of the submission, and I have a little spreadsheet that ages the rebates, when they get past 12 weeks, I follow up. Most I don't have to bother with, but I have yet to have a rebate that I didn't get, and all the numbers are toll-free. I've had about half a dozen that I had to resubmit, either by FAX or mail, my copies. They promptly paid them after receiving the copies.

A couple years back, I believe the fed's cracked down on the rebate deals not being honored, because most companies seem to bend over backwards to honor a rebate.

When Cendyne recently went out of business, OfficeMax picked up their rebates for stuff purchased through OfficeMax, now that's going the extra mile for the customer! :D

Rebates aren't for everyone, but you can make some really great deals with rebates, and the risk is very small.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:54 AM   #19

PNY is notorious for not honoring rebates, but I haven't heard or experienced problems from any other companies.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by johnwill
I think I can state with assurance that rebates are honored across the board, as you can see, I have the experience. :) I have never had any kind of a hassle from the rebate processing.

It's just the time/value ratio that I have a problem with. I guess I don't see waiting three months for $30.
Closed Thread