Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Bad HDD - Samsung DP500A2D

This is a discussion on Bad HDD - Samsung DP500A2D within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Not sure if this is hardware -- or I need Linux help -- or something different. Totally stumped on my

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stancestans
  • 1 Post By esmith591
Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
Registered Member

Not sure if this is hardware -- or I need Linux help -- or something different.

Totally stumped on my second HDD to SDD swap. (Thanks for all the help yesterday on laptop upgrade -- laptop running beautifully!)

I am trying to salvage my mom's Samsung DP500A2D all-in-one PC. It should be running Win 8, but will not boot. Originally, would go into infinite reboot loop and display "Diagnosing Your PC" and "Attempting to Repair."

Months ago, I was able to get it to boot into Linux Mint from a USB thumb drive and saved the data. She took it to Best Buy and got it working for a while. When it died again, she bought new PC rather than pay to repair and gave the Samsung to me.

Have finally now decided to install an SSD drive and was hoping that cloning the existing drive MIGHT salvage the OS (probably long-shot).

Now, on attempting to boot from the hard drive, it just displays: "All boot options are tried. Press <F4> key to recover with factory image using Recovery or any other keys for next boot loop iteration."

Nothing happens when I press F4 other than quick blanking of screen and then re-display of that message.

Tried to boot from EaseUS Todo Backup Emergency disk -- both CD and USB. Neither worked. Can still boot from Linux Mint USB.

But I don't have any real Linux experience and cannot figure out how to use EaseUS via Linux, if that's even possible.

I have SSD drive to install and would prefer to use the original OS, if possible. Thus my hope to clone the original drive.

I could install and learn to use Linux, but this PC has touch screen capability and wireless keyboard and mouse -- and I am clueless about whether they would work if I installed Linux Mint. (They work when booting off the USB, but is that because proper drivers are still on the HDD somewhere?)

Can you suggest best path to take? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 12:28 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

You can download Windows 8.1 iso from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...ad/windows8ISO and burn it to USB flash drive then boot from it to perform a fresh clean install.
vanukuru.vinod likes this.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

I can try that. May not be able to do that, because I don't think Mom had made a note of the product key. Will double-check with her. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith591 View Post
I can try that. May not be able to do that, because I don't think Mom had made a note of the product key. Will double-check with her. Thanks!
If it came with Windows 8 preinstalled (from the factory), you won't need a key to install /activate it. The key is already embedded into the firmware and will automatically be used during setup.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
Registered Member

Great! Fingers crossed! Thank you!
Old 04-05-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

It worked! Installed new SSD drive, booted from Win 8.1 iso, installed the OS, and the PC is up and running! I made a couple of dumb mistakes along the way, but nothing unrecoverable.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

(Should I mark these threads "Solved"--and, if so, how do I do that please?)
vanukuru.vinod likes this.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You can mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #8
Registered Member

Thank you! Will do.
Closed Thread