Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Bad Hard Drive????

This is a discussion on Bad Hard Drive???? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. One of my users reported that their PC (Windows XP) would not boot. I suspected a bad power supply and

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 07:30 AM   #1

One of my users reported that their PC (Windows XP) would not boot. I suspected a bad power supply and asked that they send it in. This is an older PC and was slated to be replaced. I connected their old hard rive to the secondary ide cable in the new Pc to try and transfer files. The new PC would not boot. I checked the cables to make sure it was secure and tried to boot again. Nothing. I have another PC that I usually use for file transfers, so I connected the hard drive to the secondary ide cables in this PC with the same result. It would not boot. When I unplug the hard drive, both PCs will boot normally. I need to retrieve the files if at all possible. Currently the bad hard drive is in a freezor and I'm looking for an ide to USB adaptor to try. Does any one have any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 08:06 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
Wink

if this doesnt work then it aint gonna happen (get data back )

https://www.runtime.org/

regards

joe
Old 07-06-2005, 08:32 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, however. The PCs that I have connected this hard drive to will not boot. Maybe I shouldn't say "will not boot". They will "not power on" with the hard drive connected. When I disconnect the bad hard drive they power on just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
PurpleSky

unfortunetely if the hd is dead, not spinning at all ( a heart beat ) you cant retrieve your data. There are some companies who could get your data from the dead hd but they are very costly.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:05 AM   #5
retired

Sounds like the HD is shorted. If a short circuit is detected by the power supply it fails safe.

You can check the HD with a multimeter on lowest Ohms setting.
Pins 2-3 [1234] will show a short (zero reading).
1-2, 3-4, and 1-4 will be none zero (ie: > 200ohms) usually out of range (1) displayed. If you get zero then a definite short.

If above readings okay, connect power cable from test computer, but don't connect data cable to HD, power on, if system boots then the problem is likely in the controller card. You can swap a contoller card from same model if available then retrive data.

If it's dead, and your mechanically inclined, and the data recovery is worth it, and you have a working model available, then disassemble and put the platters in the working one.

Also worth mentioning is an oddity I've come across a few times, HD's that wouldn't work when jumpers were set for master or slave, yet worked fine when jumpered for cable select. The jumper setting were checked, rechecked, verified with specs, used different test computers, but that was the only way they could be reclaimed.

If you do get it going, run a virus scan on it before recovering files.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 AM   #6

Thanks Stu_computer. It was definitely a short!
Closed Thread