Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

? b4 buying new hdd for older system

This is a discussion on ? b4 buying new hdd for older system within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My unusable Maxtor 6Y160M0 7200rpm 160 gb (?) hard drive has to be replaced. It's circa 2004 and has a

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

My unusable Maxtor 6Y160M0 7200rpm 160 gb (?) hard drive has to be replaced. It's circa 2004 and has a serial ATA-150 connection. The new drives all seem to be 3.0 gb now, and research has suggested that the chip sets (SiS 760 & 964) on my motherboard (asus K8S-LA - no info available from manufacturer or hp that I could find) could lead to problems with backward compatibility.
So,
1) Do any hard drives standout for ease of installation in this situation?
2) If I need to reset the jumper pins, does the part for that come with the drive?
3) I have 3 pci expansion slots, how do I pick the right card, if I need that?
I'm guessing pci and pci express require different kinds of slots?
4) Any other issues to worry about?
5) I was thinking about a small increase in size and cache, but is it wasted with the throughput issue?

The computer is a Presario SR1010Z PJ623AV, AMD 64 processor 3200+, 2.21 GHz, XP Pro w/sp2, have the recovery disks from hp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
Team Manager - Networking
Moderator - Hardware

My System

I've personally never had any issues with compatibility. The newer drives should run at the "slower" speeds without any issues. I've come across a few drives that have a jumper for 150/300 support (same type of jumper as the master/slave jumper on IDE drives). And you don't typically see any difference in throughput between the two types, so that isn't an issue.

Closed Thread