Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

any utilities that tells me if my hard drive is failing?

This is a discussion on any utilities that tells me if my hard drive is failing? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, I was wondering if there are any utilities out there that will allow me to determine if my

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there are any utilities out there that will allow me to determine if my hard drive is failing? The reason that I'm asking is that I recently did a major reinstall to my Windows 7 SP1 system to solve a problem that one of the programs that run the operating system - have stopped working, meaning I often get like windows saying that "This program has stopped working..." and so on.

As for the age of my desktop system, it's about 8 years old and the specifications of my system goes as follows:
  • Asus M2A-VM motherboard
  • AMD Athlon 64 x2 processor at 2.2GHz
  • 6GB DDR2 PC2-5300 memory (motherboard can accept DDR2-400/667/800 memory)
  • Lite-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S DVD burner
  • Integrated Realtek PCIe GBE gigabit ethernet card
  • Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 (can support both VGA and DVI)
  • 250GB Western Digital WD2500KS-00MJB0 SATA hard disk drive (installed when I bought the system back in 2007)
  • 500GB Western Digital SATA hard disk drive (couldn't find the model number, but I bought this drive back in April 2010 - to provide extra capacity for my video files, pictures, etc.)
  • 3TB Seagate hard disk drive (again, I couldn't remember the model number to be exact. Bought this drive back in December 2012)

Based on my research and experience, I found out that my 250GB Western Digital hard drive may be on the brink of failing and I was planning to either:

1) replace that 250GB Western Digital hard drive with a SSD (Solid State Drive) and then use the 500GB Western Digital hard drive to store my installed programs, user files, etc.
or
2) completely getting a new desktop system and transfer the data from the two hard drives - the 500GB WD and the 3TB Seagate into the new system's hard drive.

I also have an option of getting another hard drive - solely for the new computer system. As for the SSD, I've previously brought up this issue on another message board a year ago. The opinions were mixed.

To summarize, if I want to find out that my hard drive may be on the brink of failing, what are some of the utilities out there that can determine if my drive fails?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

WD Support / Downloads / SATA & SAS / WD VelociRaptor is a good one!
Old 06-15-2015, 07:18 PM   #3
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Another here:

How to perform a Seagate's Seatools Test - Tech Support Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2015, 05:39 AM   #4
WesternDigital
Representative

Hi there.

The best option in my opinion is to download and run a test with the manufacturers diagnostic tool. In this case you can use Data Lifeguard Diagnostics to see if any errors or bad sectors will be detected by the program:

WD Support / Downloads / Other Products / Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Just backup any important data if you decide to go with an extended test because if DLG finds something wrong with the HDD it will try to fix it automatically.

Hope this helps.

Cheers! :)
Closed Thread