Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

an old dog and new tricks-ssd problem

This is a discussion on an old dog and new tricks-ssd problem within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm unsure what I need to do next. I have a new build successfully running Win 7 + sp1; into

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

I'm unsure what I need to do next.

I have a new build successfully running Win 7 + sp1; into this I have added a 250GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVME SSD

The Windows operating system is not detecting the SSD but the Gigabyte BIOS lists it in the Boot Menu when F12 is pressed during system boot.

I've tried using CMD > diskpart > list disk and that shows just the 'system disk' as disk 0; a third party partition tool fails to detect the new SSD as also does 'Device Manager'.

After restart and log-in I saw the prompt 'New hardware detected - usb driver failed to load for this device'; I'm wondering if it's a driver issue ???

any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.

regards,

yoyojoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Are you running the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard?

What do you see in Disk Management?
Old 04-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Masterchiefxx17, how you doing?

I believe the mobo chipset drivers are all current/latest.

Disk Management earlier showed just one (1) hdd 'Disk 0' with three partitions as originally configured last month during OS installation. Partitions are OS, Apps, Files.

FYI - UPDATE - last night while trawling the internet I ended up downloading and installing an SSD NVME driver from the Samsung website. After a system reboot it meant that the ssd is now showing in the Disk Management window as Disk 1, Unknown, 232.89 GB, Not Initialized; even though it doesn't appear yet in Windows Explorer.

So all I have to do now is format it, which will then enable me to install an OS on it as required; so it seems I'm all sorted and good to go.

Thanks for your post and the 'nudge' that it gave me.

regards,

yoyojoe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Boot into Setup (Bios) Look for Hard Drive Mode, or SATA. If it is set to IDE/Legacy, change it to AHCI. If you have Windows already installed on another drive using IDE, then you will need to change it back to login to Windows on that drive.
If you are planning on installing Windows to the new SSD, unplug any other drives, then after changing it to AHCI, boot off of the Windows installer, choose your Language and then Custom Install. Here, you do not not need to Initialize, Partition or Format the drive. Just select the drive and choose Next. Windows will automatically Initialize, Partition and Format the drive during the install.
If the drive is used as a secondary drive, In Disk Management, in the lower pane, right click the Disk #1 and choose to Initialize the drive, the Wizard will ask you9 to partition and format. Which is not necessary if you are installing Windows to it.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:27 AM   #5
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Afaik, you cannot install Windows 7 on it directly since it may not recognize the device, in which case you might need to open the disk image and slipstream the Samsung driver into the image. My Win 7 installation knowledge is a little rusty, but I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say there would probably be a Drivers option somewhere in the Disk/Partition phase, look for "Load Driver"during the install process to use 3rd party drivers.
So good to keep the drivers extracted in a flash drive and keep it connected when installing windows to the new drive and then use the above method to point and update the driver.

Closed Thread