Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Always conncted Ext HDD- is it safe?

968 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  MPR 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! :)

Recently I purchased 1TB Seagate external hard disk and planing to connect to my PC always...

Is it safe? Or should I use it only as per the need?

Detail of Ext Hdd:
1 TB Seagate Expansion External Drive/ USB 2.0/Power Adapter/data transfer rate:16MBps(average).

Please help.

#2 ·
I would suggest only having it powered on when needed. External enclosures aren't typically well ventilated, thus the drives tend to run hot (which shortens the life span).

Depending on your PC, you may not be able to have to always connected anyway. Some PC's have boot issues with USB drives connected.

#3 ·
Thanks for your response. :)
Actually I have some data on ext hdd which i need very frequently...So which is better option for me: frequently power on and off or always power on?

About heat issue: It feel just very little warm.
I dont found any software for mesuring ext Hdd temp. :( Everest/HWmonitor dont show ext HDD temp. :(

#4 ·
I have an old MyPassport 750GB on my desktop thats been plugged in for over 2 years. It's nice being able to map drives to it so you can locate things you need faster and my network. If you choose to use it as a plug and play, make sure you disconnected/eject it properly so your drive doesn't get corrupted. -Hope this helped.

#5 ·
Thanks Roardawg. :)

So you connect you ext Hdd and never eject or power for for last 2 years without any problem.
But what about heat issue which can shortens the life span as Dogg says above?

I actually want to know which is better between this, frequently power on and off or always power on?

#7 ·
@MPR, Thanks for your info. :)
but still i'm confused what should better option for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.