Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

After New Hdd Install, Computer Does Nothing Without Freezing

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
Hey all, i need some help! I purchased a 3TB hard drive yesterday and installed it without a hitch. I backed up all my files to it and proceeded to fill it up. I left my computer on overnight downloading a large (64GB) file. This morning i found it was frozen on the windows logon screen, (which was weird because that means it restarted at some point). After a restart, The computer Froze at post. I unplugged the 3TB hard drive and can boot into bios no problem, but cannot load windows from the other hard drive, it freezes at windows startup logo. So i unplugged ALL hard drives, hit the CMOS reset button and took the battery out, put the battery back in and tried to load my windows 7 disc WITHOUT any hard drives plugged in, It freezes during the 'Loading Windows' process.

I will keep messing with it but i really dont know what else to do.

Thanks,
-DT

#4 ·
Download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Take all but ONE stick of RAM out of the computer. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests on each stick separately. If you get any errors (Red) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thanks for your input but unfortunately the memory came back clean with no errors. Everytime i try to load the windows 7 setup disc it freezes at "Starting windows" and everytime i try to load windows from my hard drive it freezes at "starting windows".
Safe mode freezes loading windows drivers as well..:cry:

alright, i've figured it out, the 3TB drive was causing problems, but now can only use the 3tb drive in an enclosure (which means the speed of the drive has significantly decreased)

if anyone else has this problem or any more ideas I'd love to hear it

#8 ·
dai
My Mobo is a MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
and that sounds like a great idea!

and to rgsalinger,
I did not clone the drive, i was just adding the 3TB Drive for extra storage and it somehow crashed during the night ( i realized my power settings were set to turn the computer off after 5 hours) But i awoke to the windows logon screen frozen. i detached all my drives because windows would NOT boot, even with the 3TB unplugged and after fiddling with it all day, i managed to get it up and running to the point where i could attach the drive externally.

Every time i try to boot now with the 3TB plugged in internally, Post freezes right after detecting the drives. I have tested the sata and power cables, even switched sata ports with the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.