Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Adding second hard drive

This is a discussion on Adding second hard drive within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I hope this is the right section to post this query.... I want to add a second hard drive

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I hope this is the right section to post this query....

I want to add a second hard drive to an old PC. Its a Compaq SR1239UK. Basically I need to know if this unit can accomodate a second drive and if its a straight forward process to add another internal. It would be purely used as 3 or 4 new partitions for data storage, no applications or dual boot type thing going on here.

Does anyone know if this is possible or do I need to rely on USB externals?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

According to the specs of your computer, the hard should be a SATA drive. You can add a second drive as long as it is a SATA drive.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:42 AM   #3

I read the specs from your PC here
https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...product=444645
I had to go dig up the motherboard's manual here though
https://www.elhvb.com/mboards/OEM/HP/...per_manual.pdf
(shame on HP for not providing a pdf manual for the PC on their own website! good idea to download a copy or at least bookmark it should you need it in the future)
Apparently the motherboard supports one PATA device, and 4 SATA ones. SATA is limited to SATA-150 only. Devices sold today are SATA-300, but that's ok because by default they include a jumper that limits it to SATA-150 (don't remove it!) You could install a PATA drive, but my guess would be the connector is taken up by the CD/DVD (just look in your case if unsure), so go the SATA route.
There's a couple more things to check. First make sure your BIOS is up-to-date to support large hard drives. Second you should have Windows XP SP2 or later or Windows 2000 SP3 or later (with a registry tweak to enable 48-bit LBA*) to be able to recognize hard drives over 128GB. Other than that when you boot up, just check in your BIOS to see the new drive is recognized to its full size, and if it looks ok, then you're good to go.

* The "official" page for the tweak:
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098
More automated way to check for and apply the tweak:
https://www.48bitlba.com/enablebiglbatool.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

Many thanks for the detailed response, and apologies for my delay in responding. What exactly do I need to look for in the BIOS to check for support for large drive sizes and is it just a case of changing a BIOS option or will I need to download some sort of update?
Old 09-02-2008, 05:29 AM   #5

I don't know whether 48-bit LBA in the BIOS is checkable. (Maybe some other forum members do, so stay tuned).

I think most people do it the straight forward way - just pop the drive in and reboot, and see if it's detected to its full size (and not limited to 128GB). The tool you'd want to use is disk management. Start, run, then type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. If the disk get listed at its full size (minus 7% for binary gigabytes - for example you'd see 465GB for a 500GB drive), then you're good to go. If not, then you'll need SP1 or higher for XP or SP3 or higher and a registry patch for 2000, and/or a motherboard BIOS update.

If in doubt, flash the BIOS to the latest version. The support page for your PC is here
https://search.hp.com/query.html?lang...UK&la=en&cc=us
You can find BIOS updates in the 'software drivers and download' section.
Now about flashing the BIOS: try not running any other program while doing this, and be ABSOLUTELY sure the power doesn't go off during the operation. If the operation gets interrupted in the middle, you'll get a dead motherboard and the computer will be unusable.
Closed Thread