Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Adding ide sata controller card......how to load drivers and/ or raid

This is a discussion on Adding ide sata controller card......how to load drivers and/ or raid within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I read Mr. Lindeman's great article on installing the PCI IDE SATA card controller card. I has a driver listed

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

I read Mr. Lindeman's great article on installing the PCI IDE SATA card controller card. I has a driver listed albeit a windows driver which is not on the disk included with card. Why when adding the new hardware it didn't automatically choose one of those provided drivers I don't know and frankly I have no idea which one to chose or how to install it. I did notice it has a VT6421, chip on it so I chose the Via category but it seems it didn't "take". I didn't know what the other items were. In hardware manager I see an entry for a raid card. In PC bios I see a scsi device listed but not any specific id from the card. It won't boot from the scsi and when I tried to install a dual boot situation with winxp and linux using 2 hds,appropriately putting bootloader info for linux at the sda ( winxp disk) it said there was no such device as the second drive. Am I supposed to do something with the raid tools program?? If so what and will it destroy my existing Winxp (which I don't want to do). I've spent a week trying to get past this and i though it would be as easy as plug n play. I am dealing with a 15 year old system that only supported ide. My pc bios is not a fancy as the examples I've seen here . HELP I'm trying to transtion a friend from windows to linux and this is frustrating me !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 02:32 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

What is the make and model # of your PCI SATA card? The card should have come with an installation CD. If there is no CD for your card, then go to the card's manufactures web site, type in your make and model # for your card and install the driver.
Once the driver is installed for the card, restart the computer. An Additional BIOS for the card will appear for several seconds. If you want to setup a RAID configuration, then you would press whatever key combination is required to boot into the Cards RAID configuration. You would only do this, if you have more then one HDD plugged into the card and are setting up RAID. It should show you any drives listed by manufacturer that are plugged into the card. Once the card is recognized and it's Bios loads, and it shows the Drives plugged into it, then you can install any OS you want to the new drive plugged into the SATA card.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Question

The card is a Bytecc BT-PSAPA 053520.Yes it came with a disk but no other instructions. There were 4 directories on it Oxford, NEC, Via and something else I can't remember. The one that was in Via which had the vt drivers and raid tool was what installed by actually having an install file on the disk otherwise the other items were just inf files. When I tried to let windows search media during the install it didn't choose anything from the disk. When I downloaded the driver files from Bytecc site it made no sense has it had a bunch of empty files and i couldn't read the file names. No additional BIOS appeared in my PC bios. I will only have the sata drive plugged into the card. The other items have been left on my pc's MB. I was able to install linux on the new sata but but it's just no go as to boot up in any way shape or fashion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Are you installing this in Linux or in Windows?
If you are installing this card in Windows, go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager, is there a yellow flag next to the card or any device? If so, it requires a driver.
Browse the CD for a Setup.exe file or Autorun. If you do not have a Setup.exe file on the install CD. In the Device Manager, right click the device with the yellow flag and choose Update Driver/Install from a list or Specific Location/Don't search I will choose a driver to install/ Next, choose HDD controller, then click Have Disk, browse to the CD to the .inf file to install the driver. You may have to choose each one separately till you get the right one. If you continue to have problems, contact the manufacturer of the cards Support dept
Old 10-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Registered Member

Smile

I am installing the 2nd HD in a windows established pc. Intitially after the first install I did see an unknown item with an exclamation but deleted it when i saw the raid card noted some lines below it. Maybe i need to take the card out again and try a reinstall according to your directions? I will try as you outlines above..I'm assuming the cd is a general mass distributed cd not necessarily specific for this board.hence the four different chip names I saw. I'll give it a try tomorrow. So in the end result I should see my WD sata drive listed instead of no name scsi??
Old 10-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

In the Device Manager, If there was a yellow flag and you deleted it, you can right click any device in the Device Manager and choose Scan For Hardware changes or Restart the computer and it will reload the device with a mark unless it finds the driver, or you install the driver. Download the driver here:Welcome to Bytecc Inc.
I cannot say if you installation CD is for several cards, but the manufacturers support should have detailed information on how to install the driver, and be able to help you if you can't get it installed. Welcome to Bytecc Inc.
Once the Card is installed, it should show up in the Device Manager under Storage Controllers, or IDE ATA controllers. When a drive is attached it should show the model # usually If a WD, the number would usually start with a WDC at the beginning of the number, at bootup in the Cards separate Bios. It would also list the HDD in in the Device Manager under Disk Drives.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

I have seen the WD mentioned in the disk section and I have seen the Raid controller card listed under it's own category. All seemed well. At pc bios the 2 hd was acknowledged merely as scsi ( which i read was not unusual) and I never had an option to choose it above the ide drive as a boot option. I looked at the driver chosen for the scsi device and it was a generic windows driver instead of one from the install cd. The driver package from Bytecc makes no sense to me at all. Bytecc had no paperwork in the box and their "support" documentationis a joke. I got more from the VIA website than Bytecc. I will try changing it today. Then I discovered I need to have the linux bootloader info installed on the 1st HD if I want the dual boot option ( which I do for now ).

I attached the only winxp driver file from the Bytecc ( for VT6421)site for your preview and commentary.
Attached Files
File Type: rar BT-PSAPA.rar (4.06 MB, 28 views)
Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Confused

Sounds to me like you are doing several things wrong, and that includes not listing the EXACT Make/Model of the PC you are attempting to install this SCSI PCI card in. We can give you general information, but, not specific to that PC.

Next, Bytec is a 2nd tier manufacturer; Taiwanese I believe and that's why their documentation is poor. If you are attemping to add a 2nd SATA SCSI hard drive into an XP Machine; you are going to have problems unless you use a well known name brand Card. This of course would be exacerbated if your friend built his own PC from a hodge-podge of on-sale parts at his local computer shop. This is usually a recipe for disaster.

If your friend's PC is an OEM brand such as Dell, HP, Gateway, IBM, etc. this task becomes easier if you use a name brand SCSI PCI card such as Adaptec or Q-Logic. These adapters have been tested in both SCSI as well as SCSI Raid configurations. I've removed Bytec and other cards from computers and servers due to their poorly written driver code.

Another consideration, is if that Bytec card is something you or your friend had laying around in a drawer for 10 years, it doesn't do Bus-Mastering and that's usually a requirement in modern computers that use XP and newer versions of Windows. It's actually been around since Win2k/NT. If that SCSI card you have does not do this, driver compatibility and installation will be problematic as you have already seen.

I therefore recommend the following:
1) Spend $50 and buy an good SCSI PCI adapter with WHQL certified drivers such as Adaptec or Q-Logic. You can buy used on ebay or online.
2) Keep the Bytec card and run a 2-drive configuration, but perform non-RAID backups from the primary Windows-Linux boot drive (C: drive) and the secondary drive.
3) Consider taking your friend's PC into your local Computer Pro and pay someone to attempt to get RAID working with either the Bytec card you have or a name-brand replacement card as in #1.
4) Ensure that you installed Windows XP onto the Primary Hard drive FIRST and then Linux. If you install Linux first, you can have all kinds of issues with the Windows SCSI drivers.
5) Ask your friend why he needs RAID SCSI on a 15-year old system. Is this for his home use or is this in his business office? With the advent of Cloud computing, why not just set him up with the single dual-boot drive of XP and Linux and have him purchase a subscription to Carbonite or CrashPlan to back up all his data online?? cost is $60/yr. and he would need to pay at least that for the parts you'll need to fix him up with RAID on a 15-yr. old PC.
6) Tell your friend to replace that dinosaur with a modern computer.

*Note: If you can't determine the Make/Model of the pc and there are no labels on the outside of the case, you can download SPECCY program for free and at piriform.com; run it and upload the Report here so we have a better idea of the hardware you are trying to use.

Finally, it's important to note, that in PCs of that age, RAID dual-drive systems are not a possibility in many cases; they weren't built for that; and that includes many systems that include RAID options in the BIOS. This is something I uncovered when I managed 600 computers in a small company I used to work for as an IT Manager. We had to replace many of those PCs and Motherboards to achieve that configuration. Most of the problems came from using poorly designed adapter cards and even more poorly coded drivers.

Post back your friend's PC specs and we can advise further.

BIGBEARJEDI
Old 10-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEARJEDI View Post
specs......

My friend's system is a Sony Vaio PCV-RX560...bought not built.

Next, Bytec is a 2nd tier manufacturer;

I gathered that jugding from the price. ..it looks to be an exact replica of the VIA controller cards. I've no experience with controller cards at all and did not know cheaper would mean "possible" working...aside from typical quality issues.

Another consideration, is if that Bytec card is something you or your friend had laying around in a drawer for 10 years,

Nope ..got it new from microcenter....

4) Ensure that you installed Windows XP onto the Primary Hard drive FIRST and then Linux.

Winxp is installed first in first ide HD,, 2nd SATA hd was planned for linux mint with dual boot option. MInt was installed ..just can't get it to boot.

5) Ask your friend why he needs RAID SCSI on a 15-year old system. Is this for his home use or is this in his business office?

It was my bright idea as his sole techie..I see his primary HD becoming capacity fulll and I wanted to steer his system away from Windows. I bought a SATA drive ( as they are current ans future ) but his MOBO has no sata connectors so I bought the controller card thinking that's was the only thing needed to get it to work on his ancient system.

With the advent of Cloud computing,

I don't like the privacy issues of "the Cloud"....too much info mining IMHO

6)
Tell your friend to replace that dinosaur with a modern computer.

yea..I've told him that over and over but you can lead the horse to water but............I'm doing my best under his financial circumstances. God knows when I'll be paid back for this money output.
I was unfamilair with the limitations the system might have...I hope I'm, wrong..I can live with getting a different board but it doesn't work in the system at all then I'm FUBARED.

BIGBEARJEDI
Old 10-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

It sounds like the card is working and it is recognizing the HDD, and they are recognized in the Bios. If you want to Dual boot Linux, use EasyBCD as your boot loader and add the Mint OS to the boot.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
It sounds like the card is working and it is recognizing the HDD, and they are recognized in the Bios. If you want to Dual boot Linux, use EasyBCD as your boot loader and add the Mint OS to the boot.

I will try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes...I did a reinstall today and got the same results as before. Here's hopes.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Registered Member

well come to find out I apparently can't use Easy BCD...it's only for combo winxp and vista.
I only have winxp. As for the bios recognition let me say that while i find it in the bios as bootup option ( identified as scsi) it doesn't not show up as amaster or slave item....as so far still doesn't boot.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

I don't know where you found out this information about EasyBCD but it allows you to Dual boot ANY OS, not just XP and Vista, it works well with Ubuntu and Windows so I'm sure it will work with Mint as well.
You can keep futzing with this inexpensive card, I'm sure if you contracted their support, they would help you. Or you can send it back and spend a couple more bucks and get a card that has a working driver and is much easier to install
Old 10-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Razz

I agree with Spunk on this. And if you got a decent SCSI-SATA controller card, you could use Windows built-in boot manager to manage your dual-boot configuration IF YOU DO IT RIGHT.

I also looked at the Specs on your friend's Vaio PC. It's indeed ancient; DDR1 memory; came with a CRT not a LCD display, and it's a Single (slow) Pentium Processor 1.7Ghz (slowwww...). To be honest, I've found faster computers in the dumpster here where I live. That being said, I don't believe that system is even APPROPRIATE for a dual-boot Windows-Linux system in the first place. People are selling a computer of this age in my neck of the woods for $30-$50 including tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, and printer. Why don't you just buy him a 2nd antique system for this amount--which is the same or less than buying a decent SCSI-SATA controller of name brand (that's in my previous post)???

So, this guy is so broke you're trying to wean him from windows; you don't know if OR when he's going to pay you for any parts you need, not to mention your giving him your labor for free!! ??? Wow! Well, as someone who has been building systems to donate to needy folks for 20 yrs. I certainly understand your challenges; but you're better off buying a 2nd computer for him to use Linux on, continue to use XP on the dinosaur VAIO, and set him up that way. You won't have to buy another SCSI controller card, deal with the integration of SCSI-SATA onto old technology Motherboard or any of that.

That is unless you just plain enjoy BANGING your head against the wall!

Plus, if this guy is hanging onto a 12-15 yr. old computer, do you really think you're going to be able to convert him to Linux?? Doubtful. The majority of my clients are Seniors and I have yet to convert any of them to Linux. Even the XP types who refuse to upgrade and now know that they shouldn't be using XP to do any financial type transactions on the Internet with XP due to ending of Support by Microsoft back in April, so they shouldn't be doing online banking or credit card purchases with that XP system.

It sounds like that's part of your challenge in trying to move him to Linux. If you build him the 2nd system, it will be easier for him to use when he needs to do financial transactions. Of course, teaching an old dog new tricks is never easy. I think for someone whose older and on a fixed income, he'll be better off with 2 separate systems. Plus, it sounds like you are on his speed-dial, and if he breaks the dual-boot system you originally intended to build for him; he'll be calling you night and day until you fix it cause he'll be without a working computer! And having managed 70 field engineers with multi-boot laptops, they were ALWAYS adding more and more OSes until several had 5 OSes on one little laptop c1996; and THOSE dinosaurs were always breaking down since they weren't desinged for that kind of load.

With my setup, if he breaks the Linux computer, he can still do basic Internet tasks but not financial transactions on the XP machine while you haul the Linux PC back to your shop and repair it for him. If the XP machine breaks, even better; you pick up the XP machine and take back to fix and he's left with the Linux machine for everything---this may force him to use it. Until you fix his old familiar XP machine, he'll HAVE to use Linux and learn it as if he doesn't he has no choice but to WAIT for you to fix and return the dinosaur XP machine!! You can tell him in that case if he whines about it, that Linux-Internet is better than NO Internet!

Food for thought....

Kudos to you for helping the guy out; sounds like he's a luddite to me.

Best,
BBJ
Closed Thread