Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

Accessing hard drives slows system down!

This is a discussion on Accessing hard drives slows system down! within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a RAID 5 setup with 4 300GB drives and then on the side I have two single IDE

Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 01:18 PM   #1

I have a RAID 5 setup with 4 300GB drives and then on the side I have two single IDE 160GB drives. On one of the 160GB drives is the local hard drive and then the other 160GB and the RAID 5 drive are used as storage. Now for some reason when i go to access files on the one of the drives when i get so far and i go back and forth there folders, the system CPU usage jumps to 100% and then stays there for like a long time. I left it like for an hour or more and it was still like that just constaint 100% no dips, nothing. The whole computer slows down and i can't work in windows to get to anything. I've tried to a restart but that did nothing. It does the samething in safe mode. I looked at what is using all the CPU in the task manager and it shows explorer using 99. Anyone have any ideas, cause this is my server and I need to get it up and running properly.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 08:32 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

it could be a virus, spyware ect. have you try'd running adaware se or spybot , you could always download hyjack this and post a log in the security section and someone will tell you if you have anything that shouldn't be there.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:54 PM   #3

No, i checked. Found nothing. Plus it is brand new windows installation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2004, 12:21 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

doing the same thing in s/mode indicates a h/w problem
run chkdisk and see if it finds anything

Old 12-10-2004, 12:44 AM   #5

i did a check disk and everything was fine and also did a defrag. At first i thought it could be the RAID not being compatible with the motherboard so i took it offline and just tried transferring files back and forth on just the two IDE drives and it worked. So I'm thinking that it seems to be the RAID, but I then tried to access a file on the ide and then the cpu usage jumped to 100% and just stayed there. I'm not sure but every time i access that part of the file it jumps and stays at 100% usage. Sometimes it doesn't and it takes a few back and forth clicking to make it hang. So I'm now thinking that it could be the motherboard, because the two IDE drives worked fine on my previous server and now they are acting up and both drives plus the RAID, i find that hard to believe. I have an ASUS A7V880 motherboard. Called ASUS and they said it should support it and all. So it might be a defect. If anyone else can think of anything I'm all ears.

thanks for the help so far.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:25 AM   #6
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i don't know much about raid,someone is sure to come online that does shortly

Closed Thread