Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

8TB Seagate Drive Heads Constantly Seeking

This is a discussion on 8TB Seagate Drive Heads Constantly Seeking within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi - I just go a new 8TB Seagate drive. It's connected to my Mac over USB. The actuator is

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi - I just go a new 8TB Seagate drive.

It's connected to my Mac over USB.

The actuator is seeking constantly, even when I am not accessing the drive. The sound is driving me nuts.

It's this drive

Interfaced to the Mac using this product

Running macOS High Sierra

Appreciate anyone's help in advance

I tried to use DriveDX to see if I could figure something out but after installing the driver it says this drive does not support S.M.A.R.T.

And here I thought I knew something about drives, but I guess not enough. I had gotten all excited to get a huge drive like this but that sound makes it very hard to sit here and enjoy computing tasks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

When you say 'seeking' do you mean clicking ?

Old 04-19-2018, 03:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

The sound is that of the actuator moving across the platter which is presumably due to performing a seek. It's very rapid. Some might describe that sound as click, but it doesn't have any of the character of click which to me would imply a metal striking metal sound. I'd be glad to post a recording. My sense is that either it is some kind of constant recalibration, or may there is something on my Mac that is actually sending out those commands for some reason. If there was some way to monitor what the drive is doing and why that might be a good diagnostic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 04:10 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Is it a green drive by any chance ? They used to have a head 'park' feature which would cause it to keep waking up when data was being accessed ?

Also, do you notice the drive spinning up and down or the spin rate seems to be consistent ?

Old 04-20-2018, 04:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

No, it's not a green drive. No, the drive is not spinning up and down - the spin rate is consistent.

I tried something else too : the drive is formatted exFAT so it works on my Windows 10 machine which is a Surface Book 2. On the Windows machine the drive behaves completely normally. I was surprised by that but that is what happened. So I'm surmising somehow the Mac itself is sending out these commands ? It's so annoying. Makes an otherwise excellent drive almost unusable. I guess I could get a sound enclosure but I shouldn't have to do that especially since it works perfectly on the Windows machine. I'm hoping there's someone out there who really knows the Mac file system driver - for example re-installing that system if that even makes sense. Something like that.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:41 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Sorry, I don't have much experience with Macs so am gonna take the backseat and let someone else answer.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:08 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Do you have Time Machine setup on this drive to Backup? Time Machine may be backing up constantly.
Also, you can turn Spotlight off from Indexing the contents of the drive constantly. Stop Spotlight from Indexing Time Machine Backup Volumes & External Drives