Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

80GB IDE Won't Spin!

3K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  Networks 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have an 80GB Seagate Harddrive (IDE). I think it doesn't spin anymore :cry:

I plugged it in on several computers using an adapter, it powers up and heats up but no spinning sound, that "crunching" sort of sound doesn't happen anymore. Nothing shows up on the computer (Windows Vista). In Ubuntu is it recognized in Gparted, but can't do anything further without getting errors.

I am not sure what to do :nonono:

Please help me!

#2 ·
First you need to power the drive alone no SATA Data cable connected and put your ear up to it and listed to it as you power it on can you hear it spin ? does it click or spin down ?

Next remove the HDD PCB from the drive you need small torx to do this and take a "good clear" picture of the entire board component side and post it. Also search on TVS diode and get a multi meter put it on the DIODE mode and check the TVS Diode's to see if they are open or shorted

#3 ·
Yes, no SATA is connected, its only IDE.

As it powers up, there seems to be an attempt to spin, but then there is a clunk/click sound (1x)

I'm really nervous about removing the PCB, I have some data on the HD and don't want to compromise the chances of data retrieval (last backup was 6 months ago).

I am attaching some pictures I just took, also, what is a TVS diode?

Attachments

#4 ·
OK sorry I missed the IDE Part I see 1 black Diode near the power connection so you don't have to remove the board on this model since the component side is already visible. It sounds like your not up to the Do it yourself steps and in your case rightfully so. The best thing is to send it to a Pro data recovery shop for a proper diagnosis and quote to recover your data.

#5 ·
Can you see anything from the pics? Does it look like there might be damage in the board? or is it likely it is internal? I recently plugged this HD into a external enclosure, it worked fine, until I tried it today.

What does the click sound mean?

Sorry for the many questions, I'm in Saudi Arabia and its tough to find a data recovery professional. I'll look around tomorrow.

#6 ·
We really need to know if the drive spins can you "feel" it spin at all ? The click is normally the head attempting to "read" the system area "SA" on track0 and it can't thus the head retracts back to the stop "fast" and that is the "click" you hear. I can't see any damage but again unless its burnt electronics often don't show any signs of damage "externally"

I think you have a few DR places in your area I see them post from time to time on the other HDD forums

#10 ·
not all recovery jobs have good outcomes when the heads crash and hit the platters and damage the surface then in most cases its game over. Some jobs can't get "all" the data some data can be corrupted. The chances are better than 50/50 if one place tells you no send to a 2nd for another opinion each recovery firm has varying level's of "talent" working thus outcomes can be different.

#12 ·
Sorry for the late reply,

I finally got a word back, it seems that the PCB is damaged. I found a PCB online that is from the same model + same firmware. Not sure about the PCB sticker number, I wanted to ask:

1. I am away on a business trip, not sure what my PCB sticker number is, can it be found in the pics I attached in reply #3? If so, which was is it? I found two numbers.

2. Do the PCB sticker number HAVE to match, the DR pro said the FW is most important, the ebay seller said both have to match! Help!

Thanks

#15 ·
What's the pcb number that is on the back of the pcb it's green etched into the board also should be a sticker right on the edge where the IDE plugs in

Something sounds off here this pcb is available out on the market and if he wants you to locate it he should have provided the needed info

I would find another pro if it were me!

#16 ·
Hmmm maybe you didn't get what I meant

This pro, tried to find the PCB (he had the whole HD) couldn't find it (gave him 4 days until I had to travel so took the HD back).

I am now trying to locate the PCB on ebay now since I can't find it locally in Saudi, found several PCBs on ebay now
1. same model, same FW, different sticker number
2. similar model/same make, same sticker number, same FW

Again, I don't have the HD on me now, from the pics above, it seems to be "100191545 D". Will a different PCB sticker # but the same FW and model work? How about similar model but identical FW and sticker #?

#19 ·
Again your disk recovery pro "should" have already discussed the "rom" swap with you. Normally this chip is U12 NONE of the pics are the "FULL" board so its hard to tell. This is the 2nd item that doesn't add up.

This vendor sells the boards and offers the transfer service and yes you have to send them the "bad" board so they can move the chip over.
Hard Drive PCB - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 7200.9 7200.8 Maxtor DiamondMax Plus | PCB Solution ( This vendor is also on E-Bay)

NOTE DISCLAIMER: A board swap does NOT guarantee SUCCESS ! neither myself nor the vendor can tell you it will fix your drive and allow you to copy data off the drive. You do this at your own RISK !

#20 ·
Damnit, I'm so lost here.

- My seagate is U6 ST380020A, this vendor doesn't appear to have this PCB.
- I've already found PCBs, as i've said, the "pro" in my area will do the swap for me, I just have to get the correct PCB, THIS is where I need your help, please let me know if the following PCBs can potentially work:

1. same model, same FW, different sticker number.
or
2. similar model/same make (ST360020A), same sticker number, same FW.

The biggest issue here is the PCB sticker #, do they have to match?

Please let me know

#21 ·
Seagate-same board number which is etched on the PCB, begin with 100…, and the same Main Controller IC. If you can’t find the number on the PCB (Old Models), you should find the same Main Controller IC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.