Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

80 GB become 32 GB after formating, help..

This is a discussion on 80 GB become 32 GB after formating, help.. within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. winxp, asus p4c800-e, intel 3.2, Maxtor. my hard was 80 GB and it's in NTFS format b4, since my computer

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #1

winxp, asus p4c800-e, intel 3.2, Maxtor.

my hard was 80 GB and it's in NTFS format b4, since my computer got some automatic pops-up, i tryied to format my computer with my XP CD.

here is what i did:
1.i chose the FAT full format by mistake, and in the middle of the formating i press the restart button to restart my computer and tried to format it to NTFS

2.i chose the NTFS full format, and i made two partions(i forgot how many GB in each of the Partions). One of the partition is about 30 GB and i install the winxp windows, and the other partion i also install the winxp window, but in the middle of the intallation i press the retart button in the case to restart the computer.(i regret to make two partion in my computer with two same windows)

3.i boot with my XP cd again and delete my other partion and do the full format again.

this is what happen, i keep only one partition now, but it's only 32 GB in my harddrive. i tried to format again in NTFS, but i can't find the rest of the GB. and b4 the formating it only shows that my harddrive is only 32 GB, no other GB left .... I'm sure that the rest of the GB is miss in the Partion process, and how can i get them back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2004, 01:51 PM   #2

"In theory, FAT32 volumes can be about 8 terabytes; however, the maximum FAT32 volume size that Windows XP Professional can format is 32 GB. Therefore, you must use NTFS to format volumes larger than 32 GB. However, Windows XP Professional can read and write to larger FAT32 volumes formatted by other operating systems. "

Start over...

Run the setup, delete all partitions and start over...
Old 10-28-2004, 03:47 PM   #3

yeah, there were two partiontion b4 , i delete one of them, so there is a 32 GB partion left. u said delete all partions right? so i have to delete the one i left there? but what happen if i got no partition in my computer? after i delete all of my parttition, i will get my gb back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2004, 04:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjohnny1
yeah, there were two partiontion b4 , i delete one of them, so there is a 32 GB partion left. u said delete all partions right? so i have to delete the one i left there? but what happen if i got no partition in my computer? after i delete all of my parttition, i will get my gb back?
it says the totoal size is only 32 gb in NTFS format
Old 11-01-2004, 12:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

Grin

Start over the Windows XP installation and just prior selecting the drive for your installation carefully see how many partitions are shown by the Setup. Incase if you used the Windows XP setup program earlier to partition your HDD earlier there will be an additional partition without a drive letter with max size 8MB. Ignore that partition, check for the other listed partitions. Start deleting the all listed partitions and then Create partions.
You can choose 20Gb for your root drive(C:\>) and then decide how more partitions you require. Move the highlightbar to "unpartitioned menu item" press the "C" or whatever equivalent character create more partitions.

Allow the setup program to format you C:\> drive using NTFS/Quick NTFS format.
Once your installation is over, you can double click open your "My Computer" Icon and format your additional partitions.

Hope this suggestion helps you someway around.
Cheers n all the best
Closed Thread