Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

3TB harddrive only showing 750gb

24K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  TheMadS 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey!

I bought a new Hitachi DeskStar 7k3000, and installed it to my server, but when I booted up and checked Disk management, it only showed 746,39 GB unallocated. Then i tried to installe it into my gaming laptop and it showed one unallocated partision of 746gb + one 2 tb...

So my server dont support that big harddrives?
Is it the OS, the motherboard, or something else that causes it to cap at 750gb?
Server motherboard: GA-K8NF-9

#6 ·
#10 ·
UPDATE: Tried the Paragon GPT Loader, which states it will fix the hole problem, but of cause, still the same.

Then tried the Intel RAID driver, but that driver is for the HP HomeServer, and did not install on my server. Tried to find a similar one to my MB, and gonna try to install that later on when I get home.

Seems like steely's suggeston could be a good idea, gonna sit down and try it too later...

#9 ·
I searched trough more forums and found this thread:
Windows Home Server Forums • View topic - 3TB drives support - MediaSmartServer.net

Some suggested links seemed interesting:

Patch for WinXP to support 3TB disks?
Still Running Windows XP and Want To Use 3TB Hard Drives? - Using Windows Home Server

Intel update, but is only for RAID support?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2101&DwnldID=20215&lang=eng&iid=dc_rss

But either way, unless there is a patch for the Driver Extender directly, I wont be able to add the harddrive to the pool in DE?

-------------

When it comes to the specs for the server.. I dont remember them now, but the most importent is the motherboard, OS and HDD setup?
Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 . This is my old gaming laptop but works great as server.
Hard-drive setup: Using DriveExtender, having atm 3 1TB disks, one is system+data, 1disk is data and one is shared folder backup... For those familiar with the DriveExtender, know how it works. Basicly makes a "raid" of all the drives added to the pool(makes one big partition).

#11 ·
By reading trough the "Guide to make GPT, 4k sector....." guide that steely74 linked to, I realize that is not the same problem i've got. That guide only tell how to add a 3TB disk to the Storage Pool in DriveExtender. But in my case, the HDD wont show its full size even when its a GPT.

No matter what I do it only showes ONE UNNALLOCATED space of 746GB in DiskManager.
When I installed it to my gaming computer (Win7) it showed one unnallocated space of 746GB AND one of 2TB. Both where gray, which means they are unnallocated.
And even if I try swapping it to GPT by rightclicking the HDD in disk manager, or swapping it back to MBR, or logical disk or whatever, its only 746GB on the 3TB disk.

So it seems like its hardware+OS that makes it fail. I should prob buy and install Windows HomeServer 2011 or update my hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.