Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

3rd hard drive and cloning OS and programs

This is a discussion on 3rd hard drive and cloning OS and programs within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have just added a 3rd hard drive to my computer system. In addition to wanting more storage space, I

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #1

I have just added a 3rd hard drive to my computer system. In addition to wanting more storage space, I want to have a complete bootable backup of my OS and often used programs, in case my original "C" drive ever goes down.

I had to add a PCI card HD controller to my system in order to achieve this. My new HD is jumper configured as a "slave", even though it is connected to the card in the primary HD position.

I created a Primary Partition large enough to hold all of the data from my "C" drive, and an extended partition for additional data. I want to clone my "C" drive to the new Primary Partition.

When I run the (Ghost) Clone program, I get an error message claiming that I have a fragmented disk which needs to be defragmented before I can proceed. However, when I analyze my "C" drive in my computer management utility, it says that no defragmenting is necessary.

The "C" drive is 15% free space. The new partition is empty.

I am about to try connecting the newly formatted drive to my original secondary drive position on the cable which is attached to my standard motherboard connection, and see if that makes it more accessable to cloning.

Also, my newly added drive now appears as "Disk 0", instead of "Disk 2"as I expected. (Is there a way to re-label it?)

If anyone in this forum has any thoughts as to how I might resolve these issues, or knows if my approach to saving my backup OS and programs on an on-line disk has any lurking problems, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Advertisement

Old 07-11-2004, 07:11 AM   #2
Citizen of the world

If you're running GHOST from the GUI under Windows, it needs to create a contiguous 26mb virtual partition in the root of C:. If it can't find 26mb of contiguous space on that partition, that's the message you get.

To avoid this, use the boot disk wizard and create a GHOST floppy. GHOST running from the floppy doesn't need the virtual partition, and this won't be a problem.

I hasten to add, you should normally have a lot more than 15% free on your boot partition. Lots of temp files get created and deleted there, and sometimes they get pretty large. Also, 15% free space is right around the absolute minimum for defrag to run at all.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:55 PM   #3

Thank you, johnwill!

I've got more than enough space on my C drive, (1.51 GB). A "VIRTPART.DAT" file (was created there (26,624 KB). Yet, the process won't complete.

Can you tell me more about operating from the boot disk wizard? I'll try that as well.

Is it possible that with only 15% free, the C drive "appears" to Ghost to need defragging, even though it is "clean"?
Closed Thread