Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

2TB Seagate Not Being Recognized

This is a discussion on 2TB Seagate Not Being Recognized within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, A few days ago I decided to do a backup of my laptop with a 2TB Seagate BUP

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

A few days ago I decided to do a backup of my laptop with a 2TB Seagate BUP Slim BK hard drive I have. Up until now it had always worked well and it's only around 1.5 years old.

While doing the backup, I noticed the data transfer was interrupted and it was showing as 0 bytes/sec. I left it for 5 minutes and upon seeing it didn't work, I canceled the transfer and plugged it back in. As I did it, the partition I was using (out of two it has) became unaccesible. First, it showed as loading in the explorer and eventually froze it if I left it opne. The other partition however had no issue. I ran the CHKDSK command on the cmd and after 6 hours, it was finally fixed.

The next day I decided I'd resume the backup. When it was nearing completion, the same issue arised, so I cancelled again and plugged it back. This time however, using CHKDSK said something along the lines of it being RAW. After a few tries, and checking in two other computers, the disk is unnaccesible.

Right now, I plug it in, and I get a notification of the other partition having an issue and needing to be repaired. When trying to open it, the sound Windows gives when unplugging something plays and the partitions don't show up in the explorer anymore.

I can still see the Seagate on the Task Bar and under Device Management. The disk is on and running. Disk Management doesn't show it however. Software repair/scan tools can't detect it.

Does anybody know if there's a way to recover the files, or at least to format it? Or should I just give up and consider it dead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 12:16 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

At this time I think you can recover data.

Run a tool called TestDisk and see if it can recover the Partition Table and fix it.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

As soon as this is done, backup all the files from the Hard drive first and then run a full diagnostics on the hard drive.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

It sounds like the chipset that converts sata to usb has quit and the easiest was to get data safely would be the remove the hard drive and use an adapter to9 connect to any computer usb port like this:
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B00HJZJI84

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As stated, the USB controller inside the Seagate enclosure may have failed.
Since you have had the drive for more then 1 year it is no longer under warranty. You can dissemble the enclosure and remove the HDD, go to Youtube to show you. Attach it internally to a desktop computer or another USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a power adapter.