Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

25gigs unknown disk usage

This is a discussion on 25gigs unknown disk usage within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Currently running a primary Intel 330 Series 120g SSD card with the following usage: NVIDIA: 207MB. Program Files: 847MB. Program

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Currently running a primary Intel 330 Series 120g SSD card with the following usage:
NVIDIA: 207MB.
Program Files: 847MB.
Program Files (x86): 42GB
Users: 1.49GB
and Windows: 17.2GB

To what appears to be totalling 61.74GB, the properties of C drive reads that a total of 86.2GB is currently used.

What am I missing, and where is this unknown 24GB located ?
thankyou.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

If hidden files and folders are not shown in Windows Explorer (the default) they will not be included in the total. The "System Volume Information" folder shows as empty but it is not. It contains system restore points plus previous versions of files. With default security settings this folder is not accessible even to users running under an admin account and thus cannot be counted in the total.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

As LMiller said, chances are great it is the System Volume Information folder where your System Restore files are stored. You can reduce the size of how much space System Restore uses if your short on space.
But just to be sure, you can use SpaceSniffer to find what is using the missing space
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with blue screen and bug check
My machine bug checked tonight, it has been freezing for a long time but finally generated a dmp file tonight, so I am happy about that. Windbg says the following, can anyone help me determine what is causing this, or translate the windbg file? System specs are at the bottom, thank you.
gte BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 27 04-18-2012 10:19 PM
Cannot connect Wireless and exteremely slow computer Windows 7 Business
I do not know why this happens, but I cannot connect to the internet on windows vista business, so I installed ubuntu 11.04 as a dual OS computer, but still I cannot use wireless on ubuntu either. It said I was missing some drivers, but still I kept getting errors when I tried installing them. Here...
iPots Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 6 08-09-2011 09:00 AM
browser links redirecting me to other websites
I think I have some type of virus. I run on windows 7. Every time I am on my browser both Internet explorer and Mozilla I click on a results link and I am redirected to a completely different site. I have already ran Malwarebytes and nothing was found . What can I do to fix this?
zay812 Resolved HJT Threads 10 06-12-2011 06:00 PM
BSOD on my home Win7 HTPC [moved from V/7]
I have an HTPC that I built dedicated to running Windows Media Center. Media Center and supporting apps are all that it does and I do not install software on there beyond my based Media Center applications. Recently I have started to get a BSOD with different messages. One time it says...
AndresE BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 27 02-15-2011 09:11 PM
[SOLVED] CPU always working at 13/16%.
Hi. My cpu is always at 13/16%. I have checked for viruses malware with kaspersky and windows defender but dont found nothing. I also checked with HJT but dont found nothing bad there. What can be this? I am still very noob tech. Here is my HJT log.
wolfvt13 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 7 01-01-2011 08:44 PM