Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

2 separate drives or 1 split formatted SSD?

This is a discussion on 2 separate drives or 1 split formatted SSD? within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A little background first... I'm looking into a solution for my company. We process a lot of graphics and are

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

A little background first...
I'm looking into a solution for my company. We process a lot of graphics and are currently holding over 500gb of dropbox data on our computers. Which means my team of 4 syncs all of this info to their individual computers. a new process is coming, but in the meantime, this data is seriously degrading the performance of our PCs.

Question:
A single Solid State drive, but formatted into two (1 for OS, apps an 1 for data, as above). Work?

OR
A laptop with 2 hard drives - a small SSD drive for OS and important applications, then a regular Hard drive for our dropbox or other data - this will help performance, right?

Our debate is over a brand new Mac Book Pro or a high performance gaming laptop PC. We need performance - our machines take about 15 minutes to start up outlook in the mornings. A good 35 minutes before our dropbox is synced, etc and we're ready to work.

I'm happy to elaborate on more details if needed. What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Before going with equipment have you tried: Dropbox>Preferences>Bandwidth>Don't Limit for Upload and similar for download?

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes - and also have tried Selective Sync.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

There's really no such thing as a high performance gaming laptop. The drawback to the fast SSD is a low limit on storage. The 2 HD laptop seems reasonable even with 1 SSD. You'll get other opinions here shortly I'm sure.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

OS: XPsp3-Win8.1,Win10v1709FCU, Ubuntu16.04,Zorin,ISOLinux, Android4.3,CiscoIOS

My System

Since you are connecting to an Internet resource over a network connection, have you considered building a server for this application? Something like Microsoft Windows Server 2008 r2; or Windows Server 2012? Why not put in a RAID ARRAY into the Server with SFT RAID0 to RAID60 or purchase a low-cost NAS box and hang that on the network backbone at your office? If you want to eliminate latencies on loading in Outlook; the correct way to do this is to either run Exchange on a X64 or ia64 platform. We used to run E-mail for 5,000 Employees with a Exchange E-mail client-server setup with all employees running Outlook for client-side E-mail app. Shared folders and E-mail logins were typically under 3 min. from PC/laptop power-on to E-mail pulldown.

You might consider giving your local IBM office a call. They have a global network consulting office in most major US cities and like 120 countries or more worldwide. Your delay times are a function of using conumer-based products instead of corporate IT solutions.
p.s. Yes, I used to work for IBM and did consulting and design for them so I can vouch for the quality of the work they do. Even if you don't go with them, they can suggest a solution that may not have occurred to you, and you have the freedom to shop it over town and get the best price. And, no they're not paying me anything to tell you this!

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
Closed Thread