Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Hard Drive Support

User Tag List

1 tb seagate cannot be repaired

This is a discussion on 1 tb seagate cannot be repaired within the Hard Drive Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was unzipping a 800mb or so rar file from my laptop to my external harddrive until it froze. Since

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 12:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

I was unzipping a 800mb or so rar file from my laptop to my external harddrive until it froze. Since it was taking a long time to safely remove the device I had remove the device without waiting for the safe prompt. when I plugged the external hdd, it prompts that it is defective, contain errors or something and needs to be repaired. when I tried to repair it, it says that it cannot be repaired. I can still access the files, or the device can be opened but Im not sure if I could copy the files within it but I sure cant save files into it. And when I tried chkdsk in the cmd, it says that the device is RAW. When I try to remove it , it says that the device is currently in use when it isn not. So I have to shut down the laptop to remove it safely,

What should I do? can I still repair this? Can I still recover the files?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 12:47 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Do not write ANY further data to the Hard drive
First up, backup all the files to which you have access to on to your PC. any work that we do on the Ext HDD needs to be done after Data is safely backed up, so grab all the files and put them in a place on your computer.

Next power down the laptop and disconnect the external hard drive, power on the laptop and once it's up, connect the hard drive to a different USB port and give it a few seconds to settle down, what happens ?

No luck, download and run an application called Test Disk, which will help repair the partition table if it's corrupt ( Google should help you with instructions) this should help resolve the issue.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:41 AM   #3
Registered Member

Is it really possible to back up data? since when I tried to click any where of the window of the data (windows explorer), it would not respond. Or would it respond eventually, I just have to wait?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 02:48 AM   #4
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

"I can still access the files, or the device can be opened but Im not sure if I could copy the files within it but I sure cant save files into it"

You had provided this in your post, so you're not able to access any files within the disk ? (I was surprised as to how you were able to view the files when the disk was RAW)

There is an application called Clonezilla (no Windows version) or EaseUS Backup free, others might be able to provide suggestions on similar applications, you can use this and Backup the entire Disk as an Image file on your laptop, provided you have enough free space on your laptop.

Then you can run TestDisk and rebuild the partition table. Once you do this, IMMEDIATELY backup all files to your PC or another restore location.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:08 AM   #5
Registered Member

I was able to view the files but I cannot select and do any actions (so far since I didnt have the patience) without having the windows explorer not responding.

Okay. Ill try the EaseUS but I doubt I have enought space to back it all up. Hopefully there is an option to select which files Id prefer to backup.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:16 AM   #6
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

I'm not sure if you'll be able to do a selective Backup and that would not be a recommended approach, it's always good to back it up as a full Disk Image file so we can manipulate that in the future.

If you can, borrow a friend's external HDD or if you have a Desktop computer, back it up over the network to that Desktop (Could be slow, but for lack of a better option)
Old 01-03-2018, 05:41 AM   #7
Registered Member

How about if I just reformat my 1tb? I can access it if I just skip scan and repair and proceed without scanning. I already backed up my needed files. Will reformatting repair the damage?

Im afraid of running test disk as it seems complicated on the later part.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:51 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

There appears to be no Physical damage, If you have all files backed up, yep you can format the drive and start using it. I'd recommend doing a full format and NOT the Quick one.

Once it's done, it's wise to run your manufacturer's drive test tool (SeaTools or WD Tools etc, you can download this off the Manufacturer's website) and run all tests to make sure they're clean and pass through.

If all's well, you're good to go.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:06 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Since this is a Seagate drive you would want to run Seatools for Windows on it. Run the Short and Long Diagnostic tests. If it fails either one, then the drive needs to be replaced. However, The USB Controller inside the enclosure may have failed, and the drive may still be good.
How long have you had the External Seagate drive? If you have had it for less then a year, you can send it back to Seagate for a free replacement. If over a year, you may try disassembling the enclosure and remove the HDD within. Then attach the drive to a USB Adapter, Dock or Enclosure with a Power Adapter.
If the drive is recognized in Disk Management, but the file system is RAW or Unallocated Space, and you want to recover the files off of the drive, you can make an Image of the drive using HDD RAW copy tool. Save the image to another drive, and then Use data recovery programs like the free TestDisk to scan the Image, not the drive to try and recover the files and save them to another drive of the same size or larger. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

Oh my God! I was doing a full format and my laptop just suddenly restarted. Now my external hdd appears only as a drive that is not accessible because it is not a recognized.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
I was doing a full format
A full format (erase) of what? your external HDD? If so, go to Disk Management, what does it say about your Drive?
Please update your profile. It states you are running Windows XP SP2? Please fill in your current computer specs say we can help you further.
Quote:
If the drive is recognized in Disk Management, but the file system is RAW or Unallocated Space, and you want to recover the files off of the drive, you can make an Image of the drive using HDD RAW copy tool. Save the image to another drive, and then Use data recovery programs like the free TestDisk to scan the Image, not the drive to try and recover the files and save them to another drive of the same size or larger. I have had the best luck with GetDataBack.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #12
Registered Member

Can you show us a SMART report?

https://crystalmark.info/software/Cr...o/index-e.html

BTW, Seagate now has a useful tool called SeaChest:

https://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36158
Old 01-04-2018, 12:15 AM   #13
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

You can still restart the laptop, connect the device to another USB port and use any of the Manufacturer's utility and you should be able to format it.

or as spunk suggested, use the Disk Mgmt to do the same.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #14
Registered Member

I was able to do a quick format on the right click menu on the external hdd. I used chkdsk and seatools short generic test to check for errors and none so far. I didnt do the Long one because it takes an awfully long time. So far, my hdd is working. I am able to write in it. Is there a need to worry myself still?
Old 01-04-2018, 10:40 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

It depends on type of Check Disk you did. If you did chkdsk /F or /P it would check the file system, much like the Seagate Short Diagnostic test.
If you did chkdsk /R, much like the Seagate Long test, this takes considerably longer because it checks for Bad Sectors and marks those sectors Bad so Windows won't write data to them.
To be absolutely certain that your HDD is in good functioning order, you should take the time to do the Seagate Long test.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:53 AM   #16
Elite Commander

My System

Send a message via MSN to VividProfessional

sadly if this is one of the STx000BM000X range, and you have used it for more than 2,400 hours then its probably dead. I have have around 100-140 ST3000BM001's fail (I only bought four I think) so much so I now just use the platters as coasters - much more reliable.
I would when you replace the disk personally steer clear of the Seagate brand.
Closed Thread