Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

Which battery will last long without charging in storage for My Dodge Aries

This is a discussion on Which battery will last long without charging in storage for My Dodge Aries within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Which battery will last longest without charging in storage for my Dodge Aries 2.2 litre, 1986 Le sedan model ?

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Which battery will last longest without charging in storage for my Dodge Aries 2.2 litre, 1986 Le sedan model ?

I am interested in a long life battery with lots of amperage for starting.

The problem is I usually put the car in storage in unheated underground parking in the fall/winter time and use it spring/summer time. By that time the battery is usually drained out and have to charge it. I am too lazy to take out battery and charge regularly during storage period. I charge it during spring time when I start using it.

I have been using Everready battery from Walmart for the past 6 years almost. And it is not keeping the charge for long after I use the car recently.

What type of battery should I get ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
Gone | Not Forgotten

I can well imagine that a 6 year old battery is not holding a charge all winter.
Not sure any battery can hold a charge in Canada all winter. Need to replace most batteries that are used everyday every four years and that is for a good brand one.

Letting it set several months at a time is not good for it. You will have seal problems, bearings develop flat spots, same with tires. Engine can corrode/rust internally. There is a fair amount of work to put up car for storage longer than a couple of months.

As far as a good brand, my choice as been Interstate batteries.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 10/Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS I

Even a 1986 model car will have a slight draw on the electrical system when it's not running.
It'd be best to put a trickle or maintenance charger on the battery and disconnect the battery cables.

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Closed Thread