Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

What's a good reasonably fast car for under $6000

This is a discussion on What's a good reasonably fast car for under $6000 within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi I'm turning 17 and I have been saving some money and I need a car that's under 6000$$.. It's

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi I'm turning 17 and I have been saving some money and I need a car that's under 6000$$.. It's has to be reasonably fast, MUST have leather seats, a 4 door would be nice due to insurance prices, something that looks cool, nice, clean. Iv been driving my moms C230 sports for the past year and iv come to love the luxury side of cars. I can't do the whole sued interior and looking like crap.. I want something that I can do some good respectable mods to like exhaust, intake etc. Wat I DON'T. Want is a ricer. Anything that has under 100k miles and is a 2001 and over would be nice .. Please help me out I really need my own car ASAP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Registered Member

Any input would be nice. The car doesn't have to as I described it. Anything that u think is a good fast car that looks nice and cool would be good too. So any input as of now would be nice
Old 07-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Gone | Not Forgotten

Hi and welcome to TSF

As you can see, we aren't a used car lot, best bet is to check things like Craigs list for your area.

A 17 year old does not need a fast car, they need a safe car. Just because you have a drivers license, does not make you an experienced driver, it just means you can pass the basic requirements tests.

Leather interior looks neat, but wait a really hot day or a very cold day, you may change your mind. My pick up has real leather and I don't like them.

If you get a performance car, at your age, your insurance bill will kill you, unless Mommy and Daddy are rich.

I know you want to look cool driving around, you will look a lot less cool
laying in casket.

Be safe, not sorry.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

"Basementgeek" no offence and all but dude that doesn't answer my question at all. I know your trying to tell me to be safe and all but I got enough ppl that tell me that already. And just because I want a fast car doesn't mean I going to be going all that fast! And about the leather seats, iv been drivin a C230 sports Mercedes benz for the past year! I now how it is to drive a fast car and have leather seats!
Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

I doubt you will find anything to suit your tastes on $6K budget. Best bet would be to research local "auto trader" publications, newspaper, craig's list, etc.

A private seller will be cheaper but you have to beware.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Damn. I think I'm getting old. My first reaction was pretty much exactly what BG said; then reading it, I'm like, man, what an old fuddy-duddy. He's right, tho', dude. Get a camry and save your pennies.

That being said, I'm a firm believer in "that's your funeral", so, suggestions to try to plug into your local CarMax:

I used to have a real piece of crap, so I wound up doing rentals when I had to take a long trip. My favorite by far was a Nissan Maxima.

The Maxima had a couple years of a really smooth (imho) design -- before it turned into a sneaker, but after they rounded the edges, especially the taillights. The one I rented had a generous sun-roof, spoiler, nice interior amenities, and was my first experience with "semi-automatic" shifting -- y'know, automatic but you drop it into low and then you can pretend-shift. I love pretend shifting :) (actually, I plain-out prefer a manual, but, those days are done...) I think 2003 was the year, and I still think that's a real nice look for a 4-door. The body style I think came about in '00 or '01, through '03, then '04 was when it turned into the sneaker-looking thing.

My current car, you won't believe I'm suggesting, actually would have been great in highschool -- a Chevy Malibu Maxx (5-door/hatchback). No, seriously -- the LT trim is worthwhile. 200+ horsies, spoiler, 17" tires, built on a Saab platform. Since it's shorter than the Malibu sedan, it handles much tighter, and it's a little lighter so it kicks harder. The reason it woulda been good back then is the back seat is huge -- fit lots of friends or you and ... well, anyway, BG would remind me this is a family forum.

There are some with DVD players in back, and there's a tailgate table in the hatchback. Drink responsibly; that is, NOT AT ALL.

But, dude. Get a Camry and save your pennies. Or a Civic. You will never, ever again care what kind of car this is, after about 3 years from now.

jw

PS -- until I recently got into a relative's 60's-era muscle car and opened it up, the fastest I had ever driven in my life was in a Chevy Astro. Don't need a 'fast' car to go fast :)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
Registered Member

That's trust wat you said Jay but personally I think that the altima is to heavy. Like my aunt has the 02 or 03 model and I just think it's way to heavy. Cuz I my small dude I'm only 5'6.. And that's pretty damn small.. As far as 4 doors and 2 doors go I really don't care how many doors it's has since I only need one and that's the one I'm going to be getting into lol... But the camry I don't really like the old Style ones like the newer ones I could go for but they are waayyy to expensive...

But here's a list of cars iv been looking at and please feel free to add cars To my list......
02-03 Lexus is300
03 lincoln ls
04 Mazda rx8
02-06 Acura tl
04 Acura rsx
03-06 Mazda 6
Again feel free to add to this list
Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Maxima lighter than Altima. You're 17 and don't want to be carrying your friends along?

don't think we'd like the feel of similar cars -- i'm 6 foot 230lb. need something substantial :)

If you find an RX8 for $6000 it'll be a death trap, or need $5000 worth of work. Ditto a lexus lincoln or aucra rsx.

spend your money on your high-school sweetheart instead.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 AM   #9
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Also need to have a look at maintenance records for the Mazda and most of the other models. Timing belt replacement is suggested at ~80K miles and can be expensive. My daughter-in-law had to replace the timing belt in her Mitsubishi at about that interval......was forced to when it broke. A friend had to replace his in a Mazda 626. Do a little research on all models you are considering.....good luck.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 AM   #10
Gone | Not Forgotten

One thing you never told people is what area you live. That would help some.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
Registered Member

I live in norther VA. Temp. Goes from 10*F - 105*F...
Old 07-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

**2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT modified

There's a ton of listings on craigslist for NoVa. Also wholesalers all over the place, Manassas I think was built by used car salesmen. Go test drive anything that looks fun.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #13
Registered Member

Idk I think I might just go with a early to mid 2000 year Mazda 6, V6 models they looks pretty good 4 doors good interior roomyish pretty fast, reliable and good on gas :) so from wat I read the goods and the bads about the car I'd give it a B in my book 86 out of 100 and it's around my price range :) so another good thing.......... But if anyone has one or knows someone who has one could u all give me your opinions on the car? And the reasons for your opinions please? Oh if you or want could you list some more cars that would be a good buy some more or less like the Mazda 6 (doesnt have to be mazda. Anything fast nice fun and reliable would do) thank you for your help everyone. Please keep filling my post with great information and ideas :)
Old 07-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #14
Gone | Not Forgotten

Hi All:

In case some are wondering, the last three posted have been deleted as are
Totally irrelevant to topic.

Be nice and respectful and stay on topic.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Old 07-22-2011, 06:31 AM   #15
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 10/Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS I

I'd take a look at the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix cars. Those are based on the Corolla so they'd have decent power and reliability, plus loads of room.

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
Registered Member

Im not really into hatchbacks unless it's the Mazda 3 hb or the Subaru wrx hb and tho r not cheap at all ..
Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #17
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer6 View Post
Hi I'm turning 17 and I have been saving some money and I need a car that's under 6000$$.. It's has to be reasonably fast, MUST have leather seats, a 4 door would be nice due to insurance prices, something that looks cool, nice, clean. Iv been driving my moms C230 sports for the past year and iv come to love the luxury side of cars. I can't do the whole sued interior and looking like crap.. I want something that I can do some good respectable mods to like exhaust, intake etc. Wat I DON'T. Want is a ricer. Anything that has under 100k miles and is a 2001 and over would be nice .. Please help me out I really need my own car ASAP
At 17 personally I'd be more concerned about weather or not the car will run a week or a year or two A leather interior is useless on the back of a tow truck, as for reasonably fast, you ain't going no faster than the guy in front of you.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
Registered Member

I agree with you. But that's why I need a good reliable car. And as far as having a reasonably fast car, it's because my buddy's parents own a track down in north Carolina and every so offten we go down there and race and just have a good time since you can't really race in the public streets. (not trying to have any bad records on the license atleast not till I'm out my parents house or they will kill me) and there's also a drag stipulate near me to which I also go to very now and then so that's why I would like to have a reasonably fast car.

But wat do u think about the 2003-2004 Mazda 6i or the 6s ???

Please list another cars you prefer and like thanks
Old 07-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #19
Automotive Team

For reasonably fast I'd recommend something with a 350cid or bigger made in the 70's or late 60's Especially if your gonna put it on a track, an 80's 4.3L at smallest, but I'm teh wrong person to ask about speed, I gave up on speed when the new world order made gas prices too much for the average person to have fun. Now I'm more into power and that can come out of ANY engine if you gear it right, I have a 01 Jeep wrangler with a little 2.5 that won;t outrun your moms C230, but I bet ya $10 I can get there before you :)

But Personal I'd stay away from anything Mazda, but if ya gotta have speed, grab an old Toyota that ain't burnin oil yet, and tune it properly.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen1086 View Post
but if ya gotta have speed, grab an old Toyota that ain't burnin oil yet, and tune it properly.
1987 toyota supra turbo stick

When I was 17, a friend's pop had one of these. Good for 5'6".
Closed Thread