Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

Toyota to replace gas pedals on 4 million recalled vehicles; Camry, Prius among model

This is a discussion on Toyota to replace gas pedals on 4 million recalled vehicles; Camry, Prius among model within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. WASHINGTON (AP) — Toyota Motor Corp. said Wednesday it will replace accelerator pedals on about 4 million recalled vehicles in

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
hey

My System

WASHINGTON (AP) — Toyota Motor Corp. said Wednesday it will replace accelerator pedals on about 4 million recalled vehicles in the United States because the pedals can get stuck in the floor mats.

As a temporary step, Toyota will have dealers shorten the length of the gas pedals beginning in January while the company develops replacement pedals for their vehicles, the Transportation Department and Toyota said. New pedals will be available beginning in April, and some vehicles will have brake override systems installed as a precaution.

Popular vehicles such as the Toyota Camry, the top-selling passenger car in America, and the Toyota Prius, the best-selling gas-electric hybrid, are among those recalled. Also included is the luxury Lexus ES350, the model in a fiery fatal accident in California that focused public attention on the danger.

Toyota, the world's largest automaker, announced the massive recall in late September and told owners to remove the driver's side floor mats to prevent the gas pedal from potentially becoming jammed. The recall and extensive fix is the latest problem to confront the Japanese automaker's sterling reputation for quality during a period of rapid growth, and it prompted top executives to push for improved quality control

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,5638795.story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Gone | Not Forgotten

The hillbilly fix is pretty easy.....cut off the bottom of the pedal.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via MSN to carsey

Read something the other day about a pedal getting stuck down and causing someone to be stuck at full throttle. They even had time to call 911 or whatever.

Firstly, how hard is it to press the clutch in and engage neutral, Apply the brakes and come to a safe stop?

Secondly, Turn the ignition off. 99% of cars today have elecronically controlled engines so once power to say a fuel relay or ECU is taken away, the engine will stop running.

Thirdly, who drives at full throttle everywhere? If you have a relatively powerful car, sticking your foot right down would make it take off and gain speed pretty fast indeed.

Seems like people are forgetting how to drive these days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I suspect the problem is not with the floor mat/gas pedal. My guess is there is a problem with the drive by wire system.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 10/Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS I

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
I suspect the problem is not with the floor mat/gas pedal. My guess is there is a problem with the drive by wire system.
My thoughts exactly.

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:48 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

I'm in complete agreement. Call my crazy but something about a computer handling how my car accelerates creeps me out. I like being able to reach into the engine and pull a cable to rev.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

We've had electronic fuel pedals on trucks since 1986 when the Series 60 Detroit hit the streets they all have one thing in common there is a idle validation switch/sensor in the pedal and a potentiometer if they don't agree the engine goes to idle, if there is not a reading from either one it goes to idle, if the reading is out of range it goes to idle, they will not accelerate again until you cycle the key off and only then if the same fault is not present. By far the biggest issue is the the truck won't move complaint and a intermittent ground issue or failing pedal sensor :)
Closed Thread

« Ouch | BYOP Shops »