Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

[SOLVED] people tailgating what to do?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] people tailgating what to do? within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Whenever I go somewhere everybody who gets behind me tailgates me. My aunt followed me to her house one time,

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Whenever I go somewhere everybody who gets behind me tailgates me.

My aunt followed me to her house one time, but she didn't tailgate me, and she says nothing is wrong so I don't see why people need to tailgate.

I slow down to about 40 mph in a 45mph zone when people tailgate, and sometimes they get the hint, but yesterday the person behind me didn't so I slowed down to about 30 in a 45 for awhile, and they pissed me off so I floored it to 50mph cause you can do 5 mph over without getting pulled over, but the person still wouldn't get off my *** so what are people supposed to do when followed by a tailgater???

it is the law that people can't tailgate but they do it anyway. One person tailgated me, and I was doing the speed limit, and they floored it right passed me, and I almost got the license plate number to turn that SOB in. I have the truck info, but not the license plate number so I can't call it in. Ford f250 doing about 70-80mph and tailgating in a 45mph zone would really mess up his record. I wish I was an undercover cop cause that guy would be super pissed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Get to the side and take out a camera and start taking pictures. That should scare them off.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

I can't do that all the time though, and what am I going to do with the pics? I don't even have a good camera or I would turn them in for tailgating.

I am almost 100% sure I can get a good enough pic of the license plate and stuff while driving if I get back behind them cause if I pull over I can't really get good enough pics, but if I pull over and let them pass and get behind them there I go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 08:47 PM   #4

move out of the way or do nothing because eventually he will make a pass.
maintain your speed, you don't want to get rearended.
Old 08-24-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Registered Member

you must have the habit of sticking to the speed limit as well as sticking to the fast lane in a multi-lanes highway, even though you're not turning soon?

i can't see any one would tailgate you if you're in the slow lanes. they would just simply overtake you and move on.......

btw, i do stick to the speed limit nowadays after numerous speeding tickets in the past (and i'm getting older). but i don't stick to the fast lane just because i have the right to.

once i followed a slow driver in the fast lane just to see if he's going to turn soon. nope, not for the next 5km :(

edit: he did not turn after 5km. i did because i've reached my destination.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

over here people in the slow lane get extremely close to cars before they move over to the passing lane. In the passing lane nobody tailgates me. I don't stay in the passing lane long.

On the non passing lane when the speed limit is 65MPH I do 70mph, and everybody passes me, and in the passing lane you have to do 75mph to pass people.

That is when cops aren't on the highway. I stick with the speed limit cause I don't know what I am supposed to do.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Stay with the flow. It may be surpassing the speed limit, but it may also prevent an acccident or road rage incident. And stay out of the left lane if you're not willing to do some real speeding.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

There is no such thing as a "fast lane."
Old 08-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebackhus View Post
There is no such thing as a "fast lane."
There is. It's the lanes pass #2 from the right of the freeway. All trucks must drive in the "slow" lanes or lanes #1 and #2.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

Really? I saw 2 18 wheelers in both lanes on the highway already. I have also seen an 18 wheeler doing 80-90mph in the slow lane cause I was trying to pass it, but I was going as fast as everybody else in that lane, and then the truck finally slowed down so I past him, and then he got the cops after me, but I got away from them cause I didn't do anything wrong. I even had my GPS and that said my fastest speed was 70mph which would've made the police laugh when they saw that on my gps and then I wouldn't get a ticket. Stupid people these days.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 PM   #11

any lane is a fast lane to me if no car in front and no cop behind. worry about speed trap ahead later.

it's not fair when the cop can drive as fast as they want and do what ever they want.
parking, illegal u-turn, and you name it.

Well, but that's life. Nothing is fair.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdfanboy View Post
over here people in the slow lane get extremely close to cars before they move over to the passing lane. In the passing lane nobody tailgates me. I don't stay in the passing lane long.

On the non passing lane when the speed limit is 65MPH I do 70mph, and everybody passes me, and in the passing lane you have to do 75mph to pass people.

That is when cops aren't on the highway. I stick with the speed limit cause I don't know what I am supposed to do.
sounds like you've already done your best. well, looks like there's nothing more you could do without risking a speeding ticket :)

actually i got a tip for you, find a car slower or not faster than you and stay in front of him. that way ppl would be tailgating him and not you hehe.....
Old 09-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
MMZ

I think you have OCD and just looking for problems.

Based on how you claim to drive, I don't see you doing anything wrong. Usually people get tailgated when they're blocking the fast/passing lane or going excessively slow. You don't seem to be doing that.

When you're not blocking the fast lane, sometimes people do tailgate, but they usually stop after a while. Ie. they were just waiting for a chance to pass....or weren't paying attention, etc.

But if you start slowing down and pissing them off, etc...you're inviting road rage and now it's game on.

Certain conditions does warrant that you flow with traffic. If the speed limit is 55 and everyone's doing 70-80 mph and you're doing 60 mph, then you're bound to get tailgated. But they will move over to pass when they get the chance. However if you do 60 right next to another guy doing 60 and blocking 2 lanes, then obviously people will get pissed off.

Reporting plates won't do anything. I'll just say you're lying. You need a witness, video, etc.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:28 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

I get tailgated off of the highway too.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 AM   #15

Quote:
I get tailgated off of the highway too.

Remember this : When other cars and even Trucks are faster than you , it means you are holding the traffic.

Like Bruiser said : " Stay with the flow"

And please if you constantly look in your rear view mirror , please don't , look in front of you , and don't hit the breaks when not necessary.

I do 50 000 miles average per year , it s not a lot , but i see a lot of crazy stuff on the road.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:41 AM   #16
Registered Member

My System

want to talk about slow drivers?

Today we are having like a hurricane and all we got so far was a lot of rain. I mean that much rain you can't see out your windshield.

Everybody on the other side of the road of me was doing about 10MPH cause they couldn't see well, and even when the rain was coming down slower. I was going 35mph when the rain was really coming down where I couldn't really see out the windshield cause I know the road, and I could see the yellow lines in the middle of the road.

Also right before the rain stopped coming down as hard I floored it doing 55mph in a 45.

Somebody was following me so I made sure I lost them. Cops hate pulling people over in rain like that cause then they have to get soaked to write a ticket so that is the perfect time to break laws.

I just fixed the seal on my sunroof cause it leaked years ago, and I haven't had a problem until we got all this rain. I went to the store to get glue to fix it, and somebody in the store came up to me and asked if I fell in a pool or river or something. I was soaked cause it was like niagra falls or waterfall. Sort of like the commercials for drunk drivers where the bear pours up the care from somewhere. That is another reason for me driving like that to see how well the sunroof was, but I don't know if it was leaking or if I was getting hit with sweat cause I was sweating from putting up a tarp so I could glue my sunroof, and glueing it, and then taking the tarp back down.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via MSN to carsey

Well, ill give my 4 options for tail gators.

1. Drop a gear and floor it. Not the best of options if you go over the speed limit
2. Put it in neutral and roll to a stop.
3. Slam on the brakes. Here in the UK its their fault if anyone goes into the back of you.
4. Slow the car down with the handbrake. They will soon think whats happening when you slow down without brake lights.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #18
Registered Member

My System

I like all of those options, but the 3rd one I think would be my fault over here in the US.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #19
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
I like all of those options, but the 3rd one I think would be my fault over here in the US.
Unless of course you saw a poor defenseless Kitty cat run out in front of you :) Aggressive driving is becoming a hot topic and you are supposed to be in control of your vehicle even here in the states so if you rear end somebody it's your fault regardless, Civil action is another story that often defies common sense.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #20
MMZ

another question would be what city are you in? like in NYC, everybody tailgates and honks their horn repeatedly.
Closed Thread