Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

radar speed signs

This is a discussion on radar speed signs within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. passed on of those speed signs today in a construction zone. it showed me doing 41 mph, my speedometer say

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

passed on of those speed signs today in a construction zone. it showed me doing 41 mph, my speedometer say 45. Now I wonder which was wrong. Maybe that is why I am getting passed all the time.
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I have an easy way I use to check mine.

On a flat, straight stretch of road that has posted mile markers:

> Set Cruise Control for 60MPH
> Watch Odometer; set Trip Odometer if equipped.
> Using stopwatch or clock, time as you pass each mile marker while noting the odometer.

Maintain for 5 miles or more.

The minutes should equal the miles nearly exactly. 10 miles traveled, 10 minutes. Odometer should match mile posts.

It's not as good as a dynamometer, but it will give you a good idea if you need to have something checked by a mechanic.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:45 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Above info is good. All speedos are a bit off + or -. Changing a gear ratio or tire diameter also requires recalibrating. In the U.S. (except VA), I consider a Radar Detector standard equipment.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 10/Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS I

I use an app on my phone as my speedometer - mine read about 5 mph off at 65 when it worked.

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Closed Thread