Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

Left signal indicator light for 1986 Dodge Aries LE

This is a discussion on Left signal indicator light for 1986 Dodge Aries LE within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. When I use left signal indicator light for my 1986 Dodge Aries L.E.. It doesn't flash green. It is solid

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

When I use left signal indicator light for my 1986 Dodge Aries L.E..
It doesn't flash green. It is solid green light.

The right turn signal works and flashes green.

So what could be wrong ?

I read must be signal flasher or fuse ?

How do I get access to them and know where their locations are ?
How do I test them and determine which is faulty ?

Thanks

Zhong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2017, 02:17 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Generally when I had such issues with Dodge/Plymouth vehicles it indicated a defective bulb, either front or back. If one side flashes it will not likely be the flasher unit itself.

The flasher works by the amount of current drawn by the bulbs to heat the bi-metal switch inside to make it flash.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 08-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Thanks

I found out that the left signal indicator light bulb on driver's side front is not working. The passenger side signal indicator light is working.

The lights at the back of the car both red lights are working except the one on the left doesn't flash when I use the signal indicator when I pull lever down. The one on the right flashes.

So do I just have to replace light bulb on driver's side left front. In order to get all the signal indicator lights on left hand side on front and back (driver's side) to flash again ?

I think there are special screws that holds the light orange cover to the light bulb. What type of screw driver do I need to unscrew the screws there ?

Thanks

Zhong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizmo View Post
Generally when I had such issues with Dodge/Plymouth vehicles it indicated a defective bulb, either front or back. If one side flashes it will not likely be the flasher unit itself.

The flasher works by the amount of current drawn by the bulbs to heat the bi-metal switch inside to make it flash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhong View Post
What type of screw driver do I need to unscrew the screws there ?

You're the one looking at them. How would anyone else know? Most likely they're either Phillips or Torx.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

'86 could very well be #2 Phillips......later years would be Torx. Replace the bulb and things should be fine.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I know what the screws look like.
They look like something in between these two-

For the head of the screws seemed to have been worn due to it being used before, so it is hard to describe. I know what phillips screw driver and screws looks like and they are not those type.

Zhong
Old 08-24-2017, 10:32 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Have to remove orange plastic covering here-

Click image for larger version

Name:	ariesfront.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	311953

Looks like I have to remove the torx screws and then pull it out from the front including the bezel to gain access to the light bulb?

Zhong
Old 08-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhong View Post
Have to remove orange plastic covering here-

Attachment 311953

Looks like I have to remove the torx screws and then pull it out from the front including the bezel to gain access to the light bulb?

Zhong
Or do I have to remove the battery from under the hood to get access to it from the opposite direction ?
Closed Thread