Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

Got yet ANOTHER Comanchee

This is a discussion on Got yet ANOTHER Comanchee within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I still drive the 01 wrangler, my wife still drives the 11 Liberty my oldest son still has the 86

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Automotive Team

I still drive the 01 wrangler, my wife still drives the 11 Liberty my oldest son still has the 86 Comanche running and pretty darn good too, now my youngest son has his first vehicle, a 89 Jeep Comanche eliminator
the 89 doesn't run though, engine turns fine if you use a socket on the flywheel, but the fuel injectors are out the rail is off and all vac lines are dangling around, he's 15 and pretty good with vehicles so since he bought it( 350) with his own money we towed it back home and hopefully he'll have it running when he gets his license
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 02:35 AM   #2
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

That'll be good for him......he'll learn assembling and troubleshooting......along with reading schematics for electrical and vac routing.

My first was a hand me down from my father........a very abused '57 Chevy. An older friend pulled the engine and showed me how to disassemble it....... Lack of oil changes caused serious sludge and scarring of the crank journals.......the engine wound up on the scrap pile. The only things that were salvaged were the 'power-pack' heads from the 220HP 283ci engine. I bought a '58 BelAir that had been diagnosed with a broken rod......for some reason I didn't believe the finding. $20 and I had my second vehicle.....that I drove on 7 cyls til the 10-day tags expired. The last trip I made in the '58 was to my friend's place to pull the engine.......it had a broken valve spring. The heads ended up in the scrap pile and replaced with the 220HP heads from my old engine......after they had a 'valve job'. Learned alot from my first car.......and the help of my friend.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

I think the only technical hand-me-down car I ever received was my '74 MG Midget. I helped my dad restore it and just recently he purchased a '70 MGB GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Gone | Not Forgotten

Never had a hand me down car that I didn't have to buy. Nor did I give my 2 kids cars either. I bought and sold my first car when I was 15, never old enough to drive on the street.

Replaced my first engine at like 16. It was easy compared to today cars, 1950 Ford flat head V8. My Dad was never around so I did it all by myself.

Your boy will learn something.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
Automotive Team

I had originally planned to give them both their first car, but thanks to the govt raising everything except my paycheck they had to buy their own. But yea it gives them BOTH experience at working on cars :)
Old 01-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
the 89 doesn't run though,
Best kind of car for a 15 yr old, just make sure he spends his money on getting it running first and not wheels, carpeting, fuzzy dice :)
Old 01-09-2014, 02:25 AM   #7
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench97 View Post
Best kind of car for a 15 yr old, just make sure he spends his money on getting it running first and not wheels, carpeting, fuzzy dice :)
Never had the fuzzy dice......

Chrome reverse with Mickey's on the rear........went from PowerGlide to T-10 and Hurst shifter.....eventually.

Yeps, engines were a lot easier to pull back then.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:51 AM   #8
Automotive Team

He wants to just get it running for now, and at 15 with little to no experience you guys should see what he did to the old brake master revisour, it had surface rust, so he removed it and when he got done I inspected it inside and out and it looks brand new. if he does the same quality to the rest of the truck, it'll be done sooner than he originally thought,
Closed Thread