Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

got a fine, and need help fighting.

This is a discussion on got a fine, and need help fighting. within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I got a fine for my tires spinning out going around a turn that I slowed down for. I was

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I got a fine for my tires spinning out going around a turn that I slowed down for. I was blaring my music, and barely heard the tires squeal. A few miles later I saw lights in my rear view mirror, and pulled over. Cop asks " do you know what you did wrong"? I said no clue, and he said about 1-2 miles back you squealed your tires taking a turn. Also being the dumb cop he was he told me to drive forward a little, and pull over again so I did, and I was then on a hill so it made it hard for people to pass us both without getting hit by oncoming traffic. Before I was on level ground so why move forward on a hill?

Then I got a fine, and today found out my tire pressure is low, and my transmission is downshifting every now and then, and when you brake when it downshifts = power slide or atleast with this car it does.

I downshifted taking a very sharp turn one day, and hit the brakes to slow down more, and the whole car slid sideways which I didn't expect it to do, and an oncoming car was coming so I pulled the e-brake, and corrected myself.

I am learning a lot about this car, and am young. I don't speed, and I obey the laws the best I can. I don't try and do this stuff on purpose like the cop thought I did.

When I told the cop I slowed down and stuff he said quit lying, but I definately took that turn at 20 mph or less which I thought was slow enough.

I am used to people tailgating me when I am turning and stuff with my brake lights, and I know if I slow down to a safe speed for the turn they will hit me, and my neck is already messed up enough, and don't got a lot of feeling in my arms or legs from a bike accident involving me, mountain bike, and a truck. The truck hit me, and I flew without a helmet or protective gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Gone | Not Forgotten

Let me guess, you mouthed off to him, didn't you.

You are responsible for all maintenance on your car. Low air pressure will not make the tires squeal, speed/ acceleration does.

Yes, cops will have you move to what they think is a safer place. They are in control. Remember he/she is the one standing outside during a stop.

Go ahead and fight the ticket and you will find how much court costs will add to it.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

You downshift before a turn, downshifting in the turn is a good way to lose control, as you have previously done. The idea is be in the correct gear and at speed BEFORE the turn, then gently accelerate out of the turn. You can get away with it more in a car since it is a dual track vehicle, try it on a bike and you'll be eating asphalt, but even in a car you on wet/snowy/icy roads, it will get you... assuming you are driving a manual here, if it is an auto and you are having that much of a control issue, then you best check brakes, or drive a bit more conservatively.
As far as fighting the ticket, I don't think you have a case. If you blame it on low tire pressure, then you are admitting to driving an unsafe vehicle. The issue with the tires is not just the noise, if it was about noise, I'm sure he would have written you for the music too, but it is about keeping your vehicle under control. Squealing tires indicate the vehicle is out of control - squeal = no traction = no control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

I didn't mouth off to the cop. I wasn't going that fast that I thought anyway since I was slowing down, and using the brake which I told him. The cop only paid attention cause he heard the tires, and not music. He didn't say anything about my music.

I drive an automatic, and downshift sometimes, but try not to anymore. I only did it cause I thought it saved my breakes, but it messes up the tranny if you don't downshift at the right spot.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

What did he cite you for?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

careless driving. I only care about the 3 points though.

He kept asking me why he shouldn't give me a ticket, but I couldn't think very well cause I had a migraine earlier. I hate migraines cause they make you tired, can't remember stuff as easily, ect. I don't drive with a migraine though cause that would be bad.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Gone | Not Forgotten

This was a judgment call, so you are going to loose.

Down shifting probably caused the tire to "chirp" , hence the ticket for careless driving.

Also brakes are a hell of lot cheaper than a transmission repair. Is down shifting hard a trans? They are more designed to make you go than to slow down.

How do you hear sirens, car horns if you have the music cranked so high?

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

guaranteed the loud music pissed him off, but he needed probable cause for stopping you.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member

My System

Ok, I didn't down shift when this happened, but the tansmission downshifted by itself, and it does that every now and then. I am going to buy lucas transmission slip to see if that will fix it.

I didn't hear sirens, I checked my mirrors like you are supposed to while driving to see if people are tailgating you, and that is when I saw the police lights.

I am so used to people tailgating me when I have my turn signal on, and am making a turn, and I need to slow down for turns more, but the people tailgating will hit me if I slow down enough for the turn. I don't speed like I said, and try to leave plenty of space for the turn signal, and braking. I put my turn signal on about 100ft. before I take a turn.

Guess next time I just need an accident instead of a ticket for taking a turn a little fast.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My advice, FWIW . . If you go in front of a judge with excuses and whining . . you will get the maximum penalty

If you go in and tell him it is your first ticket ( if it is! ) and that you accept responsibility and are sorry and did not mean to be reckless, you have a chance of getting a "deferred sentance" which means it does not go on your record if you do not get another ticket in 90 days.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

I need the best advice possible. This is my second ticket. First one was 3 years ago for burning out, but I wasn't trying to like this time. I just got my license, and got that car inspected after it was sitting a few years waiting for me, and thought that when it got inspected they would fill air in the tires, but they didn't. It steered funny, and after I got that ticket I checked the tire pressure which was about 20psi instead of 45 psi.

Do you think if I go in, and say I accept full responsibility, and did not mean to be careless do you think I would get the "deferred sentence?"

I wasn't going to give them excuses or whine, cause that digs a bigger hole in the ground.

I think when I go in I will probably say something along these lines: "I didn't mean to be careless, and just want the points off my record.

I won't tell them this, but I could care less about $100.00, but 3 points I do.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Depends on the state . . here the ticket is on your record for 5 years . . accepting responsibility and showing remorse will usually result in the lightest sentence

Old 09-18-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Over here the 3 points i got 3 years ago was gone the next year.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Registered Member

Probably can't win against cops. Particularly as a young person. Sounds like you are pretty much shafted.

I know here, Indianapolis, there is a new thing saying if you fight a ticket, they automatically tack on $500 if you lose for "court costs." Make sure they don't have something like that, because, no matter if you were in the right, wrong, or somewhere in the blurry in between, if that cop feels like being a huge d*#k he will be. You WILL lose because they WILL take his word over yours.

It sucks, but it's how it usually works.

Also, wth are you doing manually shifting your auto tranny? Its an AUTOMATIC and you're not pulling trailers or anything, let it work AUTOMATICALLY so you can avoid completely forking it up and continue driving it.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
Automotive Team

20 mph is plenty slow enough to make most turns, but the cop should have had enough brain cells to tell a person gunning the car or a tire squealing on its own, but you WILL lose in court, unless your rich or have diplomatic immunity, or live in Virginia and are an illegal Immigrant.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

Pay the ticket and don't make the same mistake again. Fighting it will only get you in more trouble financially...just not worth it for you.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
Registered Member

My System

if I was rich I wouldn't be posting this on here, and would just pay it. Right now every now and then I can only drive for 20-30 minutes, and have to get out of the car, and walk. Something popped in my leg, and I can feel the bone rubbing the outside of my skin like it wants to pop out, and then my foot goes numb, and I can't move my foot if I don't stop, and get out of the car.

I was in a bad accident 5 years ago involving me on my mountain bike, and a truck who hit me. We couldn't see each other which is a long story, and the truck driver was at fault, but I told them I was fine, and continued to my friends house where we had a party since I got injured. I couldn't move my right leg for about 10 min, but both legs are giving me issues right now which sucks.

Can't say stuff like that in court or they will most likely ask for my license.

I wish I could donate $100.00 to my friend if it wasn't for this fine. He lost his house, and his father.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdfanboy View Post
if I was rich I wouldn't be posting this on here, and would just pay it.
And, if you fight it and lose (which you will most likely), you will be paying even more than the fine you already have. I still think to fight it is unwise because it could cause you much more than you expect to pay without fighting it.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #19
Registered Member

My System

I know, but usually you can talk to the cop before, and try to work things out.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #20
TSF Team, Emeritus

Too late for that my friend, he has to take his free time to go to court, so you lose!
Closed Thread