Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

Can you disconnect the a/c from the alternator?

This is a discussion on Can you disconnect the a/c from the alternator? within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello All, I am trying to take my car a/c load off the alternator, by powering the a/c from a

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello All,

I am trying to take my car a/c load off the alternator, by powering the a/c from a battery bank.
I know the a/c pulls alot from the alternator, so I'm trying to free up some horsepower.

Question 1- Can I power the a/c from a battery bank?

Question 2- Could I make a switch from the alternator to the a/c to divert getting power from the battery bank or power cell?

Thanks for the input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 10/Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS I

It COULD be done...but it will take a lot of batteries.
The amount of horsepower you'd gain by doing this would be so small it would hardly be noticeable.

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Gone | Not Forgotten

The A/C clutch does not pull many amps, it is the compressor running that hurts HP, from the engine.

They used use vacuum switch that controlled the A/C clutch. Stick you,foot in it the vacuum drops and disconnects the A/C compressor clutch.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
GIGO

Huh? What do you mean the "a/c pulls a lot from the alternator"? A/C compressors are generally mechanically driven by a belt from the engine. What are you driving? Does it really have a compressor that is powered by an electric motor? The a/c compressor does have an electrical clutch but that is not a huge load... certainly not something one would go out of one's way to power from batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3607 View Post
Hello All,

I am trying to take my car a/c load off the alternator, by powering the a/c from a battery bank.
I know the a/c pulls alot from the alternator, so I'm trying to free up some horsepower.

Question 1- Can I power the a/c from a battery bank?

Question 2- Could I make a switch from the alternator to the a/c to divert getting power from the battery bank or power cell?

Thanks for the input!