Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

Bumps and shakes while driving a stickshift car

This is a discussion on Bumps and shakes while driving a stickshift car within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Is it normal that whenever you're driving a stickshift car, there are always that "bump" and little shakes whenever I

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Is it normal that whenever you're driving a stickshift car, there are always that "bump" and little shakes whenever I shift gears? I'm just wondering if that happens to everyone, no matter how good you are at driving manual cars. I do my best to emulate the feeling of driving an automatic car, but I always get that "bump" quite often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Lifting your foot slowly up off the clutch and slowly down (not to slowly or it stalls)on the accelerator, until you get the feel for the car is the best way. Try not to snatch the gear stick in and out and practice finding the biting point of the clutch, it's all practice and patience.

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

You need to understand that a stickshift is about performance and efficiency, quick shifts are best for both. Dragging on the clutch is for when you carry passengers ;)

Old 05-18-2015, 03:47 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyronnie View Post
Is it normal that whenever you're driving a stickshift car, there are always that "bump" and little shakes whenever I shift gears? I'm just wondering if that happens to everyone, no matter how good you are at driving manual cars.
Yes, even the best drivers cannot change as smooth as an automatic transmission.
They may think they have perfected it, but to passengers it is always perceptible.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Check that you don't have excess play/wear further out from the clutch - driveshaft(s) > wheels.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #6
Administrator
Automotive Team Manager

OS: Windows 10/Windows 7/Windows XP Home/Pro SP3/Windows 98SE/Fedora Core 6/RH 7.2 with Autopoint/TAMS I

Could possibly be a bad engine mount letting the engine shift slightly when shifting gears...

Please post all questions in the appropriate forum. Questions sent by email or PM will not be answered.
Interested in Trek gaming? Check out the Dynaverse!
Proud supporter of the Carolinas Aviation Museum - the final home of Flight 1549.
Confession might be good for the soul, but it hurts the heart like hell.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:27 PM   #7
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Get the revs up sufficiently for each upshift. Scrub off speed properly before downshift. Don't baby it though. For real driving pleasure, learn to heal and toe.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Most people will have some minor bumps and shakes when shifting, they'll typically get less as your experience grows.
If severe, or just developed recently, I'm with Midnight, check for mechanical issues. Clutch linkage, engine/transmission mounts etc

With experience, not just with clutches themselves, but with the same vehicle with give you very smooth shifts. think of it as a teeter totter, in with the gas as the clutch comes up
Closed Thread