Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Automotive Center > Talk Car

User Tag List

A word to the wise about aftermarket parts

This is a discussion on A word to the wise about aftermarket parts within the Talk Car forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok everybody at 46 years old and under hoods for the better part of my life, I may not know

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #1
Automotive Team

Ok everybody at 46 years old and under hoods for the better part of my life, I may not know it all (according to my wife anyway) but one thing I DO know is auto parts.
When you go through your insurance company for repairs, BE CAREFUL OF WHAT PARTS THEY USE, I have had a lot of people ask me whats the best parts to use oem or aftermarket, well, if you want the best quality, most times its oem for body parts. for engine parts there are many aftermarket companies that make above oem quality goods, but be wary, there are some who make just plain outright junk.

Yes I'm ranting about this ( again)
why am I ranting?
I just replaced the front bumper, grill, radiator and hood of a 2008 Chevrolet Impala for a 20 year old girl who had a set of $10 front brakes installed. she felt really good until the glue melted and the pads fell off the backings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Gone | Not Forgotten

She must drive a lot to need a set of brakes of just 2 year old car.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Nah.... she drives like my daughter and uses both feet at the same time. Never judges distance and only backs off of the gas at the last second and jams on the brakes. Never uses mirrors until the forementioned has occured when a smooth lane change could have been done. I rode with her to Wisconsin last October and it was a "white knuckle" experience for me...

Most often cheap parts do not pay off in the long run and I even avoid some of the larger autoparts stores. MT knows where I go for parts... but I still shy away from some of the cheaper parts they offer. You get what you pay for and low price does mean less service life or lower quality control.
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
You get what you pay for and low price does mean less service life or lower quality control.
Not always I've seen plenty of those low quality junk parts being sold at top of the line prices, especially to end users.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Administrator
TSF Manager

OS: WinXP Pro SP3, Vista Home Premium SP2, Windows 10 Home x64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
Not always I've seen plenty of those low quality junk parts being sold at top of the line prices, especially to end users.
Good point... I have seen this happen many times. A person should also consider the reputation of the seller and most retailers hire knowledgable buyers for their goods. A good buyer will attempt to uphold the reputation of the company and stay away from inferior parts. The most notable of inferior part sellers with inflated price compared to quality is the department/grocery stores who have no business in the selling of auto parts. In fact the selection will not be very good at these stores but they do try to sell some of the more common items and often get the cheapest part they can find just to make a sale. I stay away from any store that sells more than automotive supplies unless I happen to be there and only need a lamp or fluids for my vehicle... maybe wiper blades if the are name brand.

The same goes for power tools and equipment over the last few years...what was once top of the line names has become pure junk but the price remains high only by former reputation. Commerial duty brands I once knew are now home-owner rated and quality is almost nil. The product you once knew and trusted for reliance and quality without question is long gone. I have spent many dollars in my career to purchase nothing but the best I could afford. I am retired but can return to my trade at any time.. I have a few years left and only retired due to economy and loss of jobs in my area of expertise... I passed all leads and offers to my children for their survival.

I have sorta drifted off-track... Bottom line is to not rely on price or former reputation.... I find that junk still looks like junk. With some components a visual may not be enough in determining quality and the buyer has to take his chances. In this case a person has to trust the source and if that source will stand behind the product they are selling.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench97 View Post
That was going to be in my next rant thread about car parts:)
Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
She must drive a lot to need a set of brakes of just 2 year old car.

BG
Nope she doesn't drive any more or less than anybody else, she just drives LIKE everybody else around here, its a race when the light turns green and you wait till the last second to press the brakes to stop at a red light. Which also explains why the front and rear ends of a car around here has a life expectancy or 2 years.
hence why my S-10 Blazer has a 15 ton pintle hook on a class 5 hitch. ( go ahead, hit it :) )
Old 03-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Registered Member

I disagree, with anything you need to be careful what you are buying, but nowadays aftermarket parts are extremely high quality for hte most part, especially the ones from Chinese factories that actually go into production cars in China... Yes I have seen some crap before (leaky oilpan from bad casting from factory in Turkey) but overall the quality is decent and you save a lot of money over OEM...
Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Automotive Team

I gotta disagree with the China part, I stay clear of anything made in China, you get what you pay for with car parts just like everything else, Anybody keeping up with the toxic drywall? or the kids toys with high lead concentrations? yea makes me want to run out and buy Jeep parts made in China. So far their tires ain't doing too good either
Old 03-21-2010, 01:39 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via ICQ to ebackhus Send a message via AIM to ebackhus Send a message via MSN to ebackhus Send a message via Yahoo to ebackhus Send a message via Skype™ to ebackhus

If something as simple and innocent as a child's toy can't be made right then how can you trust a part for the car? I prefer to pay a slight premium to get more quality.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #11
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

I've seen it go both ways seems junk parts are made allover the world these days.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Registered Member

for give rb26dett he loves cheap ricer cars and asian quality parts. any par that is asian is built to minimum spec at cheap labor cost and then sold to companies to export it as theirs ,its top of the line grade "A" JUNK. they dont have to abaid by production laws and they dont care to either they make trash.
its built buy the lowest bidder and sold to the highest bidder.
As far as the brakes in 2 years you should replace them at least once ever year or 30,000 miles whichever first.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
I disagree, with anything you need to be careful what you are buying, but nowadays aftermarket parts are extremely high quality for hte most part, especially the ones from Chinese factories that actually go into production cars in China... Yes I have seen some crap before (leaky oilpan from bad casting from factory in Turkey) but overall the quality is decent and you save a lot of money over OEM...
ummm Korea got their cars to aprovefor sell in America before china did that should say something.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen1086 View Post
Ok everybody at 46 years old and under hoods for the better part of my life, I may not know it all (according to my wife anyway) but one thing I DO know is auto parts.
When you go through your insurance company for repairs, BE CAREFUL OF WHAT PARTS THEY USE, I have had a lot of people ask me whats the best parts to use oem or aftermarket, well, if you want the best quality, most times its oem for body parts. for engine parts there are many aftermarket companies that make above oem quality goods, but be wary, there are some who make just plain outright junk.

Yes I'm ranting about this ( again)
why am I ranting?
I just replaced the front bumper, grill, radiator and hood of a 2008 Chevrolet Impala for a 20 year old girl who had a set of $10 front brakes installed. she felt really good until the glue melted and the pads fell off the backings.
good post, keep them coming
Old 03-21-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97'sonoma View Post
ummm Korea got their cars to aprovefor sell in America before china did that should say something.

That's easy, cars from S Korea have been here since the 80's, in the beginning they were junk. anybody remember the Haundi Excel? I do I pull many of them to Oceana Salvage, and sold them for scrap metal, some because they broke where the uni body bolts held the body together, and others simply because they were out of gas and oil both at the same time.
China on the other hand was still trying to get their stuff main stream sell-able in the non Communist countries. personally I believe all those cars, trucks and everything else they make will be junk, just like the Children's toys and drywall. And I really don;t care about Haundi's 10 year 100,000 warranty either, read the fine print on that before you go anywhere.

As with ANY warranty here's what the ALL cover both foreign cars and the ones made here. they cover any part that won't break down in normal driving, they do NOT cover things that wear out, or any damage from overheat, under heat, not changing the oil, lack of oil, or any work not done at their dealership. Therefore personally I'll take my chances with stuff off of American assembly lines, so far all 3 of my vehicles are made in America, subsequently all 3 of them are older, I can deal with that if it means quality!
Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #16
Registered Member

ever pulled a done a timing belt on a Hyundai?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
Automotive Team

Nope, usually when they bring em to me the motor is done because of the timing belt, break a belt, the top end stops, the bottom end makes another revolution, have a valve in the down position and you might be bale to see it in the cylinder when its all over.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #18
Registered Member

they have a brass dolt in the cam gear designed to break at 35,000 miles. some make it 100,000 some dont make it 10,000,which is why we haven't done one lol but normally it makes the cam hear wobble and shreds the belt. also i remember one having a plastic cam gear.....
Old 03-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #19
Registered Member

ohh yeah dont think i havent droped valves befor its not pretty. ive also puled a ford oil pan and it weighed 14.3 pounds without the oil.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #20
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97'sonoma View Post
ohh yeah dont think i havent droped valves befor its not pretty. ive also puled a ford oil pan and it weighed 14.3 pounds without the oil.
Kinda like my Jeep engine after a fram oil filter LOL I was at the junk yard Sat and they were crushing Haundi's and anything from japan, turns out they only keep anything not made in the U.S. about 30 days :)
Closed Thread