Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Windows OS cloned to SDD boots but doesn't load.

This is a discussion on Windows OS cloned to SDD boots but doesn't load. within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have cloned an SSD in a desktop to another SSD which is now in a laptop but the

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 Ultimate, Ubuntu latest version

Hi,

I have cloned an SSD in a desktop to another SSD which is now in a laptop but the new SSD gets stuck at the spinning blue windows icon on a black screen (windows boot logo is not on screen however).

Initially I couldn't get it to boot but after editind the boot partition I have not set the correct partition to boot. I read it might be caused by Nvidia drivers (imagine that ) so I have set it to boot into safe mode by again editing the EFI/Microsoft/Boot/BCD directory, setting the boot policy to legacy so I get the safe mode option old school windows style.

However, it now gets stuck at the spinning disk (1 hour and no change).

Likely something to do with drivers? Is there some way to delete/force a re-installation of motherboard and system drivers upon boot?

The source drive in the desktop is 250 GB SSD off a ASUS rampage 3 Extreme with a bunch of drives and devices attached to it (keyboard, musical keyboard, mouse, etc). The OS was installed on a legacy type BIOS, with drives in SATA mode (not IDE)

Laptop with cloned drive is a Lenovo Flex 3 1580 with. Default in BIOS is UEFI but have changed to legacy and disabled secure boot, Intel Virtualization Technology and Intel Platform Trust Technology. Also have tried with secure boot enabled.

OS is Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Microsoft does not allow you to run the exact same licensed copy of Windows on two different computers.

Also, when the Windows installation begins it take an inventory of everything in the computer and then sets up Windows to run on that hardware. So, if you install Windows onto a HDD/SSD and then move that HDD/SSD to another computer, it likely will not work right.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Microsoft does not allow you to run the exact same licensed copy of Windows on two different computers.
What is the connection between this information you've given here and the issue Ive posted about? When the same license is used on more than one installation windows informs you of this when you reach the desktop and instructs you to change the license on one of the installations (I don't remember which). However, as explained in my post, the OS is not reaching the desktop.

Quote:
Also, when the Windows installation begins it take an inventory of everything in the computer and then sets up Windows to run on that hardware. So, if you install Windows onto a HDD/SSD and then move that HDD/SSD to another computer, it likely will not work right.
Which is why I stated it might be a driver problem and asked if there is any way to force basic driver re-installation on boot. I have moved installations onto different hardware many times before and the usual result is that on first boot windows starts installing drivers for the new hardware.

All help appreciated here but your post does not help resolve the issue explained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64 10.0.19041.264; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

The basic HAL (hardware abstraction layer) is built for a specific hardware setup when Windows is being installed. It therefore canont be simply be undone or rearranged somehow.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
The basic HAL (hardware abstraction layer) is built for a specific hardware setup when Windows is being installed. It therefore canont be simply be undone or rearranged somehow.
I have moved hard drives running windows into new PCs and laptops multiple times. It starts installing drivers for the new hardware automatically. Is the hardware specific abstraction layer which you describe something to have come along with recent versions of windows 10?
Old 08-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Sometimes it will work (sort of). However, if it does consider yourself lucky, (sort of). Because problems can, and often do crop up later.

And no, this is not something new.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Sometimes it will work (sort of). However, if it does consider yourself lucky, (sort of). Because problems can, and often do crop up later.

And no, this is not something new.
Thanks, but, again, not resolving the issue. I knew I hadn't been 'lucky' with this move when the spinning icon didn't disappear after an hour.

Are you saying there is nothing that can be done to get the operating system to start, and no way to trigger a re-installation of drivers as mentioned in the OP?
Old 08-05-2019, 11:17 AM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Yes, that is what I am saying. Install the SSD, boot the computer from Windows installation media and install the Operating System as Microsoft intended for it to be installed.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, that is what I am saying. Install the SSD, boot the computer from Windows installation media and install the Operating System as Microsoft intended for it to be installed.
Not possible in my case. Original OS must be moved to laptop. Otherwise I would have made a fresh installation of the OS a long ago. Any suggestions of things to try or an explanation of why this sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work appreciated.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #10
Registered Member

Anyone have any ideas or definitive information about this issue?
Old 08-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewton View Post
Anyone have any ideas or definitive information about this issue?
SpywareDr has said it all, it's just that you don't want to take it for what it is. Why don't you contact Microsoft Support? They're more experienced or knowledgeable in the inner workings of Windows.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:27 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
SpywareDr has said it all, it's just that you don't want to take it for what it is. Why don't you contact Microsoft Support? They're more experienced or knowledgeable in the inner workings of Windows.
If it's worth getting information about about the problem from other support channels (Microsoft) then the problem is by definition not resolved.

Although the prior help referred to is appreciated, and the opinion is noted, aside from quantum fluctuations and cranky capacitors (of which there are none on my board), the explanation that i just haven't been lucky in this case doesn't help.

Thanks for any further ideas for things to try to solve this issue or any information on why it might not be working or might be impossible in this particular case. Prior transfers have worked OK, even with the same laptop. As stated, a fresh installation is not an option in this case unfortunately, and at any rate, I am here asking for help to understand the problem should it arise again the future should it be solvable.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #13
Registered Member

Is there an error log or event being made which might shed some light on whats causing it to hang? I can access the data on the drive so would be able to post here if might help.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:12 AM   #14
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
If it's worth getting information about about the problem from other support channels (Microsoft) then the problem is by definition not resolved.
The problem you're having has a definitive solution, but one that just isn't what you had hoped for. While you may know what you want, the plan you have for getting it may not necessarily be the right one. You're trying to deploy Windows in a manner that is not supported by design. The end result is what you're experiencing, for which there is no definitive solution other than what has already been said.

Quote:
the explanation that i just haven't been lucky in this case doesn't help.
Luck has got nothing to do with this. The technicalities of the underlying process have been explained already, though not in detail so you may have missed it. This has been discussed in detail here https://www.howtogeek.com/239815/why...ther-computer/

Quote:
Prior transfers have worked OK, even with the same laptop. As stated, a fresh installation is not an option in this case unfortunately, and at any rate, I am here asking for help to understand the problem should it arise again the future should it be solvable.
Until Windows is designed to be as portable as you wish, it is what it is. What is it that makes a fresh install not an option?
Old 08-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #15
Registered Member

For the sake of the thread length, I kindly ask that further messages in this thread be limited to actual help with the issue rather than generic answers not based on my particular case about whether what I'm trying to do is possible, maybe Microsoft can help, etc. I'm sitting here writing this on another working cloned operating system using the exact same two PCs (an ASUS desktop to Lenovo laptop, windows 10 1903). No doubt there are problems cloning sometimes, but in my experience it always has worked, albeit with a couple of configurations a couple of times. Except in this particular case, where I can't get it to work at all. I'm well aware the sequence of instructions followed at boot has nothing to do with luck - this is why I pointed it out to an earlier poster. Additionally I can confirm I was holding a rabbits foot and lucky horseshoe when I booted.

Anyone is willing/able to help me dig around and find out why it's not working in this particular case? I'd like to get it working if possible, as I have tonnes of software with environments and configurations I'll lose if I have to reinstall (Hyper-V virtual machines whose exports haven't worked, ridiculously tedious Jackett sources configurations, etc etc - days worth of work), but chiefly I'm here to learn about the issue in order to definitively resolve, and be able to resolve in the future, one way or another, and particularly to know the specific cause in this case.

I've checked the srt log. It returns passes for all tests it carries out and thus I receive the notification that it couldn't fix the problem'' when .

Any other logs I can check (I have access to the disk, though obviously not online)? Any other ideas?
Old 08-11-2019, 01:28 AM   #16
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
For the sake of the thread length
Thread length isn't a concern, TSF has space for it.

Quote:
I kindly ask that further messages in this thread be limited to actual help with the issue
That's not how we roll here. No one gets to prescribe what kind of help they should be getting. This is a public exchange, so there are other parties following this thread who will no doubt benefit from correct information, so it's our prerogative to ensure the right message is being passed across, regardless of your wishes. Also, if you read through the article I linked to, there is "actual help" offered there. I'm talking about syspreping the clone. It is the closest you'll get to clearing the hal profile from that installation and maybe get it booting. In order to sysprep the clone, you first have to be able to reboot into audit mode. Since the clone isn't booting, you have to first return it to the source machine whose hal profile it contains, boot from it (confirms the clone was actually done right), reboot into audit mode, generalize the installation/image and set for oobe boot, shutdown, migrate to target machine and attempt boot.

Quote:
Any other logs I can check (I have access to the disk, though obviously not online)? Any other ideas?
See https://superuser.com/questions/7634...-is-unbootable
Old 08-13-2019, 02:46 AM   #17
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

@dnewton SDR and Stance have shown the right direction, if you're not happy with the Solution you can reach MS support as recommended, and you'll probably get the same answer.

A clone can be used on the same computer without Licensing issues, using it on a different hardware setup would lead to a license breach and any support post that is restricted.

Using snide comments or being sarcastic is not appreciated !

Closed Thread