Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Which CPUs are flexible?

This is a discussion on Which CPUs are flexible? within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello It has been a while since I built a PC. I plan to build one in the near future.

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello
It has been a while since I built a PC. I plan to build one in the near future.
Which of the new AMD/Intel CPUs are capable of running either a 32 bit or 64 bit OS. I recall AMDs can run either 32 bit or 64 bit. What about the new Intel Core processors? And what's up with the Atom cpus.

Thanks
brandon1232
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to Dblanchard1278 Send a message via Yahoo to Dblanchard1278

Now days they both can since cpu's are 64 bit and can run both 32 bit and 64 bit oses, 64 bits will allow you to use more than 4 gigs of ram.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
GZ
TSF Emeritus

My System

Send a message via AIM to GZ Send a message via Yahoo to GZ

To expand a little bit on what Dblanchard1278 has stated...

Any modern (64bit) CPU is capable of running a 32 or 64 bit OS.

AMD has a solid CPU base.

Phenom II - Top of the line, up to 6 cores larger on die cache. Used for high-end gaming, power applications (photo/video editing, 3d design etc.) Unnecessary for most users.

Athlon II - Mid level, up to 4 cores. Great all-around CPU. Used for home systems, multi-media systems, gaming, word-processing, etc.

Sempron - Budget minded, low end CPU. Solid performance for most tasks. Falls short for gaming and media encoding.

APU - Special low power CPU for small form factor and media center PCs.

Intel

Core i7 (sandybridge) - Top of the line CPU. Up to four cores and eight threads. Same uses as Phenom II. Great for high level gaming, processing and media encoding.

Core i5 - Mid level CPU - up to 4 cores. Less feature rich version of the i7 to make it more affordable. Great for gaming and a broad range of applications.

Core i3 - Entry level CPU. Intel's budget CPU offering.

Atom - Low power/heat CPU for use in small form factor and media center PCs.
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search