Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

What would be a good new motherboard and cpu?

This is a discussion on What would be a good new motherboard and cpu? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. As I said in another post my PC suddenly died and refused to even post for 1-2 hours, only to

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

As I said in another post my PC suddenly died and refused to even post for 1-2 hours, only to come back without a problem after re-installing a few parts inside. I got a new PSU as that's one of the main suspects, I haven't installed it yet and am a bit worried about replacing it as I can't afford to have my PC die if anything goes wrong.

However, in case it does die, I'd like to get suggestions for a new motherboard while I have a working PC as I will want to replace it soon anyway as it's also 10 years old.

I now have the Gigabyte 890fxa-ud5, I think it's a fairly high end mobo and I want a high end rock solid mobo to replace it, reliability is all my matters, I will pay whatever it takes for something as reliable as my current mobo ($200-300 US or more).

Requirements I have:
-Extremely reliable and on the market for at least 1 year so I can know if people are having problems
-Ridiculous amount of USB ports, I think mine has 14 to 18 standard USB ports, I need at least that much
-SPDIF optical audio output

I'm now with AMD, but haven't followed computers in 10 years so I don't have a clue what's best now, should I stay with AMD or move to Intel? Whatever I choose, I will need a new CPU also. I now have a 3.2 ghz AMD which is more than enough, I have never felt the need for a faster CPU, everything is extremely fast on this PC since it was upgraded with an SSD.

This computer literally hasn't frozen a single time in its 10 years in use, is this common? I remember 20 years ago when computers would freeze/crash multiple times per day. Is it the mobo/cpu that determines how stable the system is? If so I want a mobo that will run for 10 years straight without a single freeze or crash like my current system.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 07:14 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
-Ridiculous amount of USB ports, I think mine has 14 to 18 standard USB ports, I need at least that much
That is just not going to happen. If you need that many, you have too many devices. I would recommend buying an active USB hub if that is the case.

Here is what you could look at getting as a replacement and focusing on reliability:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813119152

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819117825

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231892
Old 11-01-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
That is just not going to happen. If you need that many, you have too many devices. I would recommend buying an active USB hub if that is the case.

Here is what you could look at getting as a replacement and focusing on reliability:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16813119152

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16819117825

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231892
When I say my mobo has 14-18 usb ports, I'm also counting internal headers for either front case ports or rear bracket ports, so I don't think it's an unreasonable amount. My current mobo has 10 usb ports on its rear panel, and at least 4-8 internal headers.

Are you really saying no company makes a mobo with as many usb ports as my 10 year old mobo?

Even the one you linked to has 7 on the rear panel plus 3 internal headers which end up in 2 ports each, so even the one you linked has 13 usb ports, almost as many as I want.

I also saw the one you linked has onboard video, I have my own video card which is one of the most recent parts in my PC so I want to keep it and I'd rather have more usb ports on the mobo's rear panel than video ports that will never be used. So that would be another requirement: No onboard video.

I also think the CPU you linked is overkill for me, my cpu was like $100 10 years ago and to this day it's more powerful than I need.

I'm also not yet sure if I want to stay with AMD or switch to Intel, but I'm leaning towards staying with AMD.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Here's a couple of AM4 ASUS 'boards with 14 rear + 5 headers:
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...pecifications/
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...pecifications/
Old 11-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
When I say my mobo has 14-18 usb ports, I'm also counting internal headers for either front case ports or rear bracket ports, so I don't think it's an unreasonable amount. My current mobo has 10 usb ports on its rear panel, and at least 4-8 internal headers.

Are you really saying no company makes a mobo with as many usb ports as my 10 year old mobo?

Even the one you linked to has 7 on the rear panel plus 3 internal headers which end up in 2 ports each, so even the one you linked has 13 usb ports, almost as many as I want.
I figured you wanted 14 - 18 physical ports on the back side of the motherboard. This just isn't as common as it used to be. Albeit, Satrow's recommendation does have a lot for a motherboard.

Quote:
I also saw the one you linked has onboard video, I have my own video card which is one of the most recent parts in my PC so I want to keep it and I'd rather have more usb ports on the mobo's rear panel than video ports that will never be used. So that would be another requirement: No onboard video.
Having onboard video does not mean you can't use a video card. It just means that you could run the system without one. This is nothing to worry about.

Quote:
I also think the CPU you linked is overkill for me, my cpu was like $100 10 years ago and to this day it's more powerful than I need.
You are correct. I did not mean to link the "K" model which is overclockable. This is the one I meant to link:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-885-_-Product

Also, ten years of computing has changed pricing.

Quote:
I'm also not yet sure if I want to stay with AMD or switch to Intel, but I'm leaning towards staying with AMD.
More of a personal preference. You would get better reliability out of Intel as their processors are mass produced and they have been the leaders for many, many years.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:23 AM   #6
Registered Member

I have been very pleased with my asrock Taichi / Ryzen 1800x system I built last December. Before that I have had a succession of asus MBs; so I was a bit apprehensive. Shortly after building the system I noticed that 1/2 my memory was missing. asrock customer support was very helpful. (the problem turned out to be the cpu wasn't seated quite right and reseating it corrected everything).
Closed Thread