Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

What kind of powersupply do I need

This is a discussion on What kind of powersupply do I need within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. This is my current set up i7 core (lowest tier one) with intel X58 motherboard EVGA 550 ti 3GB ram

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

This is my current set up
i7 core (lowest tier one) with intel X58 motherboard
EVGA 550 ti
3GB ram

Getting a power supply with a single 12V and 80+ effi, what Watts should I be getting it at? 500? 600?

Also two more questions:

1.Many people are telling me that my CPU problems are originating from my PSU, but is there a for sure way to tell kind of like memtest for memory.. is there one for a PSu

2.Prior to installing a new power supply, is there anything I need to install/uninstall or any tasks to do..

thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 03:31 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

80+ quality 650w or better

Power Supply Information and Selection - Tech Support Forum

Old 01-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #3
Emeritus

What are the Brand/Specs and what configuration is the 3GB of RAM?
You have a Triple Channel Mobo so you should use a matched set (3 sticks) of RAM.
As dai pointed out, you need to be at 650W minimum with a good quallity PSU. SeaSonic-XFX-Corsair (not the CX-GS-M Series) are top quality.
To replace the PSU, unplug the power cord, remove all the power connections from the PSU, remove the 4 retaining screws from the PSU and remove the PSU from the case. Installation is the reverse order of removal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 05:58 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

1. Boot into BIOS and make a note of all the temperatures and voltages. Back in Windows, Run Prime95 to stress the CPU and use HWMonitor to monitor the temps/volts. Post back with both the BIOS and HWMonitor readings.

2. Installing a new PSU doesn't require any software or OS changes. Just make sure all the power cables are connected correctly to the motherboard and devices, try not to accidentally knock anything out of place (RAM sticks, heatsink/fan, etc) while you're inside the case, and check the fans are spinning before closing the case.
Closed Thread