Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

what is more important, RAM or processor?

This is a discussion on what is more important, RAM or processor? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I will buy a new computer What is more important as far as performance? RAM? The generation of processor? being

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

I will buy a new computer
What is more important as far as performance?
RAM?
The generation of processor?
being i5 or i7?

Can you list these three in order of importance?

for example

one computer is: core i5, 7300 HQ 16 gb RAM

other says: core i5, 8250U, 8 gb RAM

which one would perform better?

Can someone explain the relations and list them from most important to least clearly? (i7 or i5, processor number and RAM)

I just gave these two as example, I can buy other computer too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

The relative importance of individual computer components is entirely dependent on the anticipated usage.

Overall performance would be quite similar for your example mobile CPU's, though it's not easy to compare across generations (i5-7300HQ, i5-8250U), the suffixes give a general idea of the intended usage, B being the most powerful, then H/HQ, U is lower power, Y is very low powered.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

A lot of people don't understand. They think an i7 processor is an i7 processor. See this list and know the same results would show For any other particular processor: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us...rocessors.html

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Game Team Tech

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/

cpu bench marks you can compare on here get all the information you need.