Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Very hot north bridge

This is a discussion on Very hot north bridge within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, i recently upgraded my motherboard and HDD and since then my Speedfan temperature readings are a little odd.

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #1

Hey guys, i recently upgraded my motherboard and HDD and since then my Speedfan temperature readings are a little odd. It's saying that my north bridge is IDLING at 85C. Of course that seemed a little odd to me so i opened up the case to check it out. It is so hot I can't hold my finger on it for more than a few seconds. What could cause this on a brand new motherboard? No, I'm not overclocking or tweaking anything (yet).

This is my system

AMD X2 6000+ Processor
Gigabyte MA790X-DS4 motherboard
G. Skill 3GB DDR2 800 RAM
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 graphics card
Seagate 500GB 32MB cache HDD

Also running two 120mm case fans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to magnethead

As much as I like gigabyte, their heat sinks usually aren't the greatest. I put a new NB cooler on mine after 4 months, if that due to heat. And even that one, which not AS hot, is still warm to the touch.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #3

yeah i have used Gigabyte mobos since the day i started building computers (some 9 years ago now) and this is the first one that has really had an issue like this. oh well, I'll just invest in a aftermarket heatsink probably with a fan since i intend to overclock this beast. Thanks for the input

On a side note, Gigabyte/AMD/Nvidia/Seagate fan boi for life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to magnethead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcdonald234 View Post
yeah i have used Gigabyte mobos since the day i started building computers (some 9 years ago now) and this is the first one that has really had an issue like this. oh well, I'll just invest in a aftermarket heatsink probably with a fan since i intend to overclock this beast. Thanks for the input

On a side note, Gigabyte/AMD/Nvidia/Seagate fan boi for life
check clearances. The small passive one I put on mine BARELY clears (as in, major touching) the CPU fan of the arctic cooler pro 7.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have the same problem, also a gigabyte mobo.

My system:
AMD Phenom 9750
ATI HD4850 512mb
Gigabyte GM-790X-DS4 Rev.1.1
4GB x VdataDDRII 800MHZ
ThermalTake KK 400W

No overclock, standard bios version. The NB is like 85-87degrees idle, while the CPU and system temp are around 35-37. The NB is the same temperature under load. I bought a new CoolerMaster heatsink/fan combo and haven't yet installed it because I'm not even sure why I ought to. I shouldn't have this problem in the first place.
Closed Thread