Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

USB keyboard acting funky in welcome to setup screen

This is a discussion on USB keyboard acting funky in welcome to setup screen within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OK. So here's the situation. Recently i had the delightful oppurtunity to get the blasted c/windows/system32/config error. So I decided

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 08:31 AM   #1

OK. So here's the situation. Recently i had the delightful oppurtunity to get the blasted c/windows/system32/config error. So I decided hey this hsould be easy to fix, I'll just boot up from my CD. Now my USB keyboard was working fine with the prompts such as...press F1 to continue and press F2 to activate setup utility, but once i reached the Welcome to setup screen where I am given the option to repair my windows, my keyboard doesnt work, the media keys luight up, but the keys dont actually work, I can't press caps lock or any other of the locks because the lights that display caps lock is on dont display. So I presume that any of the other keys dont work. I've gone to BIOS and checked that my USB controller device is on. Besides, the keyboard worked fine before the Welcome to Setup screen, It just doesnt work on the Welcome to Setup screen. I also dont have a PS/2 port so that eliminates any possiblity of using a keyboard with the ps/2 plug. Any suggestions to my screwed up and unique dilemna?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

get an adaptor plug usb to ps/2

Old 12-10-2005, 09:17 AM   #3

yeah but i dont have a port on the computer that enables me to plug in a ps/2 plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2005, 09:21 AM   #4

ok...woops...misunderstood you there. However is it sure that the ps/2 keyboard will work?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:21 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

one end plugs into a usb port and the other end you plug in the ps/2 plug

Old 12-10-2005, 09:25 AM   #6

ok....blast that means i have to buy this adapter...I really hope a ps/2 keyboard works during the welcome to setup screen
Old 12-10-2005, 09:31 AM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

ask one of your friends,the last couple of usb keyboards i bought had the adapter in the box,they will be cheap to buy

Closed Thread