Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

USB 2.0 Problems, it's a mystery...

This is a discussion on USB 2.0 Problems, it's a mystery... within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Recently I was forced to reformat my harddrive after a long string of things happened. Now that I have reinstalled

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #1

Recently I was forced to reformat my harddrive after a long string of things happened. Now that I have reinstalled Windows XP Pro along with most of my other prior software, I still have one remaining mystery.

I have 5-6 USB 2.0 ports, but none of them will operate at 2.0 speeds. I believe the problem lies with the Standard OpenHCD driver, but as of now have been unable to find a way to solve my problem.

The things I have tried/done with no success:

Updating to SP2 (from what I have read this SHOULD have solved my problem, but didn't.)
Updating my BIOS from the manufacturer's webpage.
Updating my chipset drivers from the manufacturer's webpage.
Making sure Legacy USB is enabled in BIOS.
Using Windows Update to find an updated driver.
Scanning for an updated driver using the device manager/properties/driver menu.

My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1830NX with an AMD Athlon 3500+. The motherboard is manufactured by ASUSTek, model A8AE-LE, but is not supported directly by them because the board is made for HP. I have two Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controllers controllers installed currently, and I know I need enhanced USB controllers in order for USB 2.0 to function properly. My drivers are version 5.1.2600.0, from 7/1/2001.

What can I do! Thank you for any help/advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #2

Still no one out there can help? Sigh.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #3

Hi MrBiggs, here is a link to some more current drivers, verify these are your drivers, as they are for the SR1800 series. Mike

https://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1843667&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=1841793&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1093
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2008, 02:09 PM   #4

Yep, those are my drivers. All of those updates are currently installed on my system, and yet USB 2.0 still doesn't work.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:13 PM   #5

You are positive that the usb 2.0 didn't get shut off in the bios? Mike
Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

In the Device Manager (start, control panel, system, hardware, Device Manager), are there any red or yellow marks in the USB area?

Do you have the word "enhanced" anyplace in the USB area when you open the little + at the USB area? Have you enabled ALL USB areas in your Bios Setup Menu?

Have you gone under the USB area and right clicked each item under there and selected "update drivers" in that area for each and every item under there that has that option? (Do not let it search the internet, they should be right on your disk form SP2 and your OS disk being on your hard drive)

Addendum: Have you tried uninstalling ALL USB devices and then rebooting and see if it finds USB 2.0? Some times that solved the problem.
Old 01-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed36 View Post
In the Device Manager (start, control panel, system, hardware, Device Manager), are there any red or yellow marks in the USB area?
No, there are not.

Quote:
Do you have the word "enhanced" anyplace in the USB area when you open the little + at the USB area? Have you enabled ALL USB areas in your Bios Setup Menu?
No, there are no enhanced drivers.

Quote:
Have you gone under the USB area and right clicked each item under there and selected "update drivers" in that area for each and every item under there that has that option? (Do not let it search the internet, they should be right on your disk form SP2 and your OS disk being on your hard drive)
Yes I have, multiple times. No luck.

Quote:
Addendum: Have you tried uninstalling ALL USB devices and then rebooting and see if it finds USB 2.0? Some times that solved the problem.
No, I haven't tried that but I will.

*EDIT* I tried that and it reinstalled the Standard Controllers.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

Now that it has reinstalled the USB things again, go down and try again to update the drivers without searching the internet. There has to be something, but I just can't put my finger on what is wrong.

You did reload SP2 and the chipset drivers when you formatted, didn't you?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #9

Problem is solved. The details are long and boring, but the problem was an old hal.dll file. Thank you for your thoughts and advice!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:35 AM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Well, glad you got it going. Don't be a stranger on here, stick around and enjoy the forum.
Closed Thread