Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

upgrade issues

This is a discussion on upgrade issues within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. motherboard: asus a7n8x rev 2.0 bios 1010 (this supports 400 fsb per asus website) recently upgraded processor from amd athlon

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #1

motherboard: asus a7n8x rev 2.0 bios 1010 (this supports 400 fsb per asus website)
recently upgraded processor from amd athlon xp 3000 333fsb to amd athlon xp 3200 400fsb. also upgraded ram from generic pc2700 2x512mb to ocz gold series pc 3200 dual channel 2x512mb. my computer worked perfectly prior to upgrade, after upgrading i can only get the system to start boot process if i leave default settings in bios after resetting cmos.

case: tsunami dream case w/ 400 psu
motherboard: asus a7n8x
graphics: xfx geforce 6800 gt agp
1x60gig maxtor, 1x120gig wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #2

@ bioniccrackmonk
So, I am not sure I understand...you have the new upgraded CPU and memory..very nice choices , and you CAN boot with default BIOS settings and everything is running OK. So you are having trouble booting when you alter/tweak the BIOS settings? Is this what you are saying? What other BIOS settings are you trying to use that is causing the boot failures?

The OCZ Support Forum is an excellent place to see what BIOS settings others are using to maximize performance
Old 10-12-2005, 04:40 PM   #3

@ please
Well when i first installed the new processor and memory it would not boot. I reset the cmos so that all the settings are at their basics in the bios. If i leave them as is, the computer boots, but the processor is running at 1100mhz. If i change the cpu frequency to 200mhz so that it runs at the speed it is suppose to, or any cpu frequency other than 100(which is default), the system will not boot and i have to reset cmos again to get my computer to turn on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2005, 08:22 PM   #4

@ bioniccrackmonk
That is an unusual problem. Sounds like you are doing everything correctly. Usually the board will auto-detect the processor and set FSB accordingly. It should at least allow you to set the FSB to the standard stock CPU speed. Does your BIOS recognize the CPU correctly in BIOS or during boot? Can you check to see if there is a bent pin or something? When you boot into Windows at 100MHz does Everest or SiSandra recognize your CPU properly as a XP3200 running at 100X11.0=1100MHZ? Any chance of trying the CPU in another board and see if it exhibits the same disfunction? Are you just altering the FSB only or are you trying to do the 'CPU frequency multiple setting' to 2200 and the 'CPU frequency multiple' to 11.0 as well to get the 2200MHz. You could try 200FSB and 10.0X multiple. Maybe try the 'memory frequency' to 'sync' to try and force 200FSB thru the memory as well. I am guessing here, tho as I am no AMD guru.
Closed Thread