Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Updating BIOS and other drivers for the Asus Z87 Sabertooth

This is a discussion on Updating BIOS and other drivers for the Asus Z87 Sabertooth within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Motherboards - SABERTOOTH Z87 - ASUS When I click the above link for my brand new motherboard, and after selecting,

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Motherboards - SABERTOOTH Z87 - ASUS

When I click the above link for my brand new motherboard, and after selecting, Windows 8.1 64-bit, there are 50 files found.

Should I install all 50 files or just the most up-to-date version in each subcategory? Which ones should I focus on and which ones should I avoid? I think I should be particularly concerned with BIOS and BIOS Utilities.

My motherboard has a Direct BIOS Key that I can click when the PC is off. As long as a USB drive is connected to the port, it will automatically update the drivers when pressed and held for 3 seconds.

I really need some detailed guidance. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Emeritus

The Bios is the least to be concerned about. Bios rarely, if ever, require an update unless there is an update that addresses a particular problem you experience.
Only download/install the most recent drivers. The newest commonly contains the older ones.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 PM   #3
Registered Member

They make it seem important with the description of the updates. It seems to improve performance and functionality. The instructions say do to it before you install the OS via the direct key button and USB 2.0 with the files attached.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Do not do a BIOS update unless you really need to.

If you mess up a BIOS update there is no coming back from it.

Like Tyree mentioned. Get the newest and most updated version of your drivers (you can check what version you have in device manager).
Old 06-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #5
Troubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefrob View Post
Motherboards - SABERTOOTH Z87 - ASUS

When I click the above link for my brand new motherboard, and after selecting, Windows 8.1 64-bit, there are 50 files found.

Should I install all 50 files or just the most up-to-date version in each subcategory? Which ones should I focus on and which ones should I avoid? I think I should be particularly concerned with BIOS and BIOS Utilities.

My motherboard has a Direct BIOS Key that I can click when the PC is off. As long as a USB drive is connected to the port, it will automatically update the drivers when pressed and held for 3 seconds.

I really need some detailed guidance. Thanks in advance.

Show us these 50 files, and also qualify it as how it would pertain that you need any or all of it.

By the way could you please update the specs for your system in the forum options? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:17 AM   #6
Emeritus

The available files can be found on the Mobo Manufacturer's site: Motherboards - SABERTOOTH Z87 - ASUS

Old 06-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Troubled

Well I do agree with you that if it ain't broke. Don't fix it. Seriously OP if your system is running fine no need to update the bios.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #8
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGeek View Post
Seriously OP if your system is running fine no need to update the bios.
Ditto ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Bios rarely, if ever, require an update unless there is an update that addresses a particular problem you experience.

Closed Thread