Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Unusual CPU temperature?

This is a discussion on Unusual CPU temperature? within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I was noticing for few weeks, that on startup my cpu was reaching 40 or 41 degree and then cools

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Stancestans
  • 2 Post By oscer1
Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Alternative Computing Team

My System

I was noticing for few weeks, that on startup my cpu was reaching 40 or 41 degree and then cools down to say 37-38 and stays around that in warm days.
I run Windows 10 and Ubuntu on seperate SSDs.
So to check the problem and for routine maintainance, I opened the cooler, and cleaned the cpu nicely with a tissue and isopropyl. (I did this many times in past few months in case you are going to ask whether I followed safety procedure or not. I unmounted the cooler, took the chip out carefully, cleaned with a cottonbud and 99.99% isopropyl very slowly and gently and patiently. And then placed it back aligning the arrow. I did it before too.)
But this time, at startup, I noticed from motherboard dashboard a temp rise of 42 and then cooled down to 38. After Windows booted, it was at 52! So I opened the whole thing again to check what's up and reapplied the thermal paste and all (tried pea, rice and cross method). Now motherboard shows the temp is around 38-39. But upon OS booting, both Windows and Ubuntu is showing it's around 42-41 and going upto 55 while launching apps like Chrome or Adobe. The CPU cooler's fan is set at Turbo but it dowsn't go beyond 1350RPM. The outside temperature is 27 right now and at day, it gets like 34. What's up with the whole thing? I loved how it stayed in limit of 35 in winter.

Processor: Intel G4560
CPU cooler: Deepcool gammaxx 200 @1350RPM
Current Weather: 27-28 degree
Room Temp: Don't know but it's humid.
Motherboard: Asus B250M-K
Motherboard temp: 37deg
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Isopropyl dissolves thermal paste.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:37 PM   #3

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Isopropyl dissolves thermal paste.
I know. I said I cleaned the cpu lid with it and then reapplied the thermal paste...
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 02:56 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

See if CPUID gives different readings from bios Hardware Monitor.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:16 AM   #5

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
See if CPUID gives different readings from bios Hardware Monitor.
Just did. 41 is idle temp. And yes it's same as the mobo's.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

41 is not bad for idle temp in my opinion.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:29 AM   #7
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

You don't surely expect temps to be as low as they were during winter, do you? You cleaned the cpu and replaced thermal paste many times in a few months time!? What is that, every two-three weeks? That sounds obsessive and excessive to me! I think you're seeing a problem where there's none.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:46 AM   #8

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
You don't surely expect temps to be as low as they were during winter, do you? You cleaned the cpu and replaced thermal paste many times in a few months time!? What is that, every two-three weeks? That sounds obsessive and excessive to me! I think you're seeing a problem where there's none.
Well... I did like once every month. I dusted off the inside every month and whenever I did that, I cleaned the cpu too and cooler blades and all. How often should I do it then?

And what about the sudden temp hike? Here the weather is humid but not too hot (30C).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscer1 View Post
41 is not bad for idle temp in my opinion.
It's around 41-42 now idle with chrome open. I just don't want it to overheat and shutdown when I'm in middle of an unsaved task.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:51 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdn8Melbourne View Post
Well... I did like once every month. I dusted off the inside every month and whenever I did that, I cleaned the cpu too and cooler blades and all. How often should I do it then?
The worst thermal compound you could buy would easily last six months and more before drying out and needing fresh application. Better quality paste would last even longer than that. I've seen boards getting outlived by the cooling assembly after years of incident-free service life. You shouldn't worry about replacing the paste as often as you're doing unless you're using toothpaste! Apply it once, make a firm installation of the cooler and let it be. If and when it starts to overheat, you'll know because there will be telltale signs such as extremely high temps (>80C) and very loud fans. After prolonged use of a system that is usually quiet, you won't fail to notice the excessive noise from the fan(s) as it tries to cool the cpu down.

When it comes to dusting, you can get away with several months without needing to do it, unless you experience dust storms in your location or you're exposed to a really dusty environment.

Quote:
And what about the sudden temp hike? Here the weather is humid but not too hot (30C).
Change in climate/weather (ambient temp) will affect system temps accordingly. Expect higher system temps when ambient temperature also rises and vice versa. 38C to 41C is hardly a hike. If idle temps shot from 38C to 50C, that I would call a sudden hike, which may still not be enough to cause thermal shutdown.

Quote:
It's around 41-42 now idle with chrome open. I just don't want it to overheat and shutdown when I'm in middle of an unsaved task.
If only you could obsess more about saving your work than a thermal shutdown...
oscer1 and Gdn8Melbourne like this.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:34 AM   #10
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

My system is 11 years old have only replaced thermal paste once.
Stancestans and Gdn8Melbourne like this.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #11

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post

Alright then!
I'm using Cooler Master mastergel by the way. Leaving it alone so until next cpu or cooler upgrade.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdn8Melbourne View Post

Alright then!
I'm using Cooler Master mastergel by the way. Leaving it alone so until next cpu or cooler upgrade.
Cool. Kindly mark this thread as solved using the Thread Tools menu above.
Closed Thread

Tags
cpu, cpu cooler, processor, temperature