Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

Turbo Boost vs Overclocking

This is a discussion on Turbo Boost vs Overclocking within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone, I am wondering what the difference is between overclocking and the turbo boost thing you always see advertised

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone, I am wondering what the difference is between overclocking and the turbo boost thing you always see advertised on cpus, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Turbo Boost allows a processor to speed up based on demand or chore while overclocking sets the processor, memory or gpu up permanently with no ability to cut back. Many systems allowing turbo boost are intentional and have no affect on warranty of system or components while overclocking in many cases voids warranties as well.
Turbo Boost is more a marketing ploy as today all cpus and gpus have this to some degree and using it is not really a replacement for overclocking which has its risks to system but enhances the operation of the unit all the time.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:39 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Turbo Boost allows a processor to speed up based on demand or chore while overclocking sets the processor, memory or gpu up permanently with no ability to cut back. Many systems allowing turbo boost are intentional and have no affect on warranty of system or components while overclocking in many cases voids warranties as well.
Turbo Boost is more a marketing ploy as today all cpus and gpus have this to some degree and using it is not really a replacement for overclocking which has its risks to system but enhances the operation of the unit all the time.
Thank you so much :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Glad to be of help!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread