Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Trying to install Ram

This is a discussion on Trying to install Ram within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good Morning, I recently purchased and installed Windows 7 on my (older) computer- Knowing I would need to install more

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Good Morning,

I recently purchased and installed Windows 7 on my (older) computer- Knowing I would need to install more ram. My computer is capable of accepting up to two gig, and I currently have 1 gig. I ordered two 512 chips, lucky me, they mistakenly sent me two 1 gig chips. (DDR400 PC 3200)

I have four slots, two banks. I removed the two 512s and replaced them with the two 1gigs and boot up. When I boot, I get nothing. No bios beep, nothing. I re-seat them, and/or try the other two banks and still nothing- except once, where I got a beep, windows started loading, and then said there was an error and went into a self-diagnosis which resulted in no conclusion. I replaced the two 512s and it booted fine (running on them right now)- but as it was booting I got a message that said there was a memory decrease- so I know the cards are being somewhat recognized.

Does anyone know if upgrading my bios will fix this? I think there is an upgrade available, but I don't know how to get it (for free). I used a system scanner and it determined I have an American Megatrends board, licensed to intel. I went to the website and downloaded their instructions- a pdf file that shows you what to look for in the bios setup, but my setup doesn't look the same as they have pictured, and seems to be lacking the information it shows. Could this mean that I don't have an AMI motherboard?

Speccy says it's actually an intel board:

Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Model D915GRO (J2E1)
Version R4892056
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model i915P/i915G
Chipset Revision B1

but when I try Intel's website, this particular model isn't available- I've read things stating that this might be a sony specific board, and intel doesn't support the bios upgrades, but I can't find them with Sony either.

Any advice or support is greatly appreciated- or if I'm going about things all wrong stop me before I go any further.

Thanks everyone!
Carrie

Edit** my pc specs aren't being shown- I have a Sony Viao VCG-RB44G any other needed info- let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

and welcome to the Forum

If Sony does not have a BIOS update, you do not want to update with anyone elses! And only update the Sony BIOS if it addresses this specific problem.

The Sony BIOS is very likely different from the Intel vesion.

Assuming you have a VGC-RB44G Crucial says it can take Memory Type: DDR PC3200, DDR (non-ECC) . . what brand is the memory you bought?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

I used crucial to determine what to purchase, and did purchase DDR PC3200 non ECC. Brand is Corsair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

That is a good brand . . Try resetting the BIOS to defaults and see if it will boot with the new memory
Old 12-19-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

At the risk of sounding ignorant, how do I reset to default?
Old 12-19-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

In BIOS, there should be a option to reset to defaults . .
Old 12-19-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Emeritus

There should be no need for a Bios update. Your Mobo will accept up to 1 GB per slot of PC3200 RAM.
Try Old Rich's suggestion and or clear the Bios by using the jumper or removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes.
Corsair is good RAM but OEM Mobo's often have compatibility issues with certain RAM.
The best option for OEM and lower tier Mobo's is Crucial to help guarantee compatibility.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Registered Member

Neither option worked- both resetting the bios, and removing the battery. Am I better off getting different RAM if there are compatibility issues as Tyree stated? A new PC is not really an option at the moment...

Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

I would try the Crucial memory . . they guarantee so if it does not work, you are not out any money
Old 12-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Emeritus

You could try the RAM in another PC to be certain it is good but the most likely scenario is incompatibility.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #11
Registered Member

Thank you everyone so much for all your help. It's just one of those frustrating things that there is too much information online- and I can do just about enough to be dangerous. I've referred to this forum for a few years and have never had need to post anything, but definitely needed the advice of someone who knows what they're doing...- I will be (trying) to return my ram tomorrow and will get it from crucial. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!!

~Carrie
Old 12-19-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #13
Emeritus

Best of luck and have a safe holiday season.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #14
Registered Member

I think there MUST be a jumper switch somewhere that I can't see, because my boyfriend's pair of 256's work in my computer, and my one gigs work in his. I gave him my ones, and ordered myself a pair of 512s from crucial- can't go over 2gig anyway, may as well max it out using all the cards. Thanks again for your assistance!! (Merry Christmas)

~Carrie
Old 12-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
I used crucial to determine what to purchase, and did purchase DDR PC3200 non ECC. Brand is Corsair
Sorry this statement makes no sense at all. Crucial site would never recommend Corsair ram so you did not really understand the value of the Crucial configurator.
When you use that you must buy the MODELS recommended for Crucial because they figure in the ecc, cas latency and density you would not know how to. Speed means nothing at this point to determining compatibility. You do not have to buy Crucial ram at that site but you do have to buy the models suggested if you want it to work and they guaranty that as few others do!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

BTW I know people here recommend Corsair ram and I used to use it but ever since they took down their configurator at their site, I have seldom found any Corsair ram compatible with anything I have tried it on.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
Emeritus

I believe CarrieM meant Crucial's site to was used as a guide determine what RAM to use and then purchased the Corsair.
Corsair RAM is very good quality and I've never had any compatibility issues using it on a good quality Mobo but OEM and lower tier Mobo's often have RAM compatibility issues. Crucial is almost always the best brand choice for OEM and other lower tier Mobo's.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #18
Registered Member

Thank you Tyree, and yes, that is correct. I used Crucial as a tool to figure out what to buy- spec for spec (as far as I could tell). I didn't blindly point at some ram and cross my fingers. But ultimately I did end up ordering directly from crucial and gave my 1gigs to my boyfriend since he can use them. I haven't gotten them yet, but like I said, I suspect it's a jumper.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #19
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Good for you that way you have the best ram and a money back guaranty it will work!

Old 12-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #20
Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
Thank you Tyree, and yes, that is correct. I used Crucial as a tool to figure out what to buy- spec for spec (as far as I could tell). I didn't blindly point at some ram and cross my fingers. But ultimately I did end up ordering directly from crucial and gave my 1gigs to my boyfriend since he can use them. I haven't gotten them yet, but like I said, I suspect it's a jumper.
I was pretty certain that's what you meant and thanks for clearing it up.
What type of "jumper switch" are you referring to?
RAM is either compatible or not compatible.
The Crucial should get you going. You can rarely go wrong with Crucial with OEM and lower tier Mobo's. The performance RAMs are better suited to better quality Mobo's.
Please post back when you get the Crucial.

Closed Thread