Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Trouble with heatsink, please help!

This is a discussion on Trouble with heatsink, please help! within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm trying to build my AMD 3200 venice comp and I'm having problems with the heatsink. First I can't get

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

I'm trying to build my AMD 3200 venice comp and I'm having problems with the heatsink. First I can't get the metal heatsink clips to lock over the plastic locking device on my mobo, even though I've been using plenty of force. I don't want to break anything but I just can't get it to go. After much struggling I decided to take the heatsink off the processor and turn it around and reseat it. In the process I noticed that the thermal interface material is now somewhat splotchy....so here are my questions

1. Do I have to start over with new thermal material (ie. clean everything and apply new TIM?), or can I just smooth out what is on the cpu die and heatsink and call it good?

2. Do I even need to smooth out the TIM that I have or should it not pose any problems?

3. How important is it to have the TIM perfectly smoothed out?

4. Any ideas on how to get the locking mechanism secured without breaking anything?

I'm a first time builder so I welcome and appreciate any help you can give me!!!
-Otacon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaconsps
I'm trying to build my AMD 3200 venice comp and I'm having problems with the heatsink. First I can't get the metal heatsink clips to lock over the plastic locking device on my mobo, even though I've been using plenty of force. I don't want to break anything but I just can't get it to go. After much struggling I decided to take the heatsink off the processor and turn it around and reseat it. In the process I noticed that the thermal interface material is now somewhat splotchy....so here are my questions

Hi,

I will do my best to answer some of these for you.

1. Do I have to start over with new thermal material (ie. clean everything and apply new TIM?), or can I just smooth out what is on the cpu die and heatsink and call it good?

Yes, you do have to start over if you ever break that seal. Get some Artic Silver and use it. Here is a link to putting Cleaning and putting Thermal Paste Back On:

https://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

2. Do I even need to smooth out the TIM that I have or should it not pose any problems?

Read the Link

3. How important is it to have the TIM perfectly smoothed out?

Read the Link

4. Any ideas on how to get the locking mechanism secured without breaking anything?

I don't know what case or board you are working with, but I have dealt with a few of those and they are a pain and are almost impossible to clamp down.

If you are trying to put those heatsink clamps on this particular CPU with the motherboard in the case, you might as well forget it most of the time, unless you have a lot of space inside that case. The last few I have done of this kind (AMD Venice or San Diego), I just put the CPU in before I put the motherboard in the case.

I recommend that if you have the motherboard already in,that you take it out of the case, put it on a non-conductive surface (cardboard) if it does not have a motherboard tray and clamp it in first. Now, that will make the motherboard screws a little harder to deal with, but that is easy compared to the other option.

Be sure with these clamps that you get the one side exactly connected tightly before you try to slip the other one in.

Good luck!

I'm a first time builder so I welcome and appreciate any help you can give me!!!
-Otacon
Old 12-25-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
Registered Member

Smile

I really appreciate the advice and will certainly put it to use. Thanks a million!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

Post back when you get your rig up and running and let us know how it went.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #5
OmegaDawn

There is a step on the ZIF socket and a cut out portion
on the heatsink.
Make sure they are lined up.
If you try to put it on backwards,it wont go.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

Smile

Hey guys,
Just wanted to say thanks for your help! My comp is basically up and running with windows XP installed. I've still got to install the motherboard drivers and the video card drivers and then I'm done....well except for the fact that windows isn't detecting my audio...hmmm. Well I'll put up a post on the ASUS forum here. Thanks again

ASUS A8N-SLI nforce 4 pcie-x16
AMD athalon 64 3200 venice (with standard heatsink/arctic silver TIM)
1gb (2x512) corsair XMS DDR 400 RAM
EVGA 6800GS pcie-x16
250gb Seagate SATA HDD
Coolermaster Centurion 5
Aspire 520W PSU
Old 12-30-2005, 01:16 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Hi,

YOu need to get those motherboard drivers loaded before you go any further.
Closed Thread