Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios & CPU

User Tag List

toshiba l500 ,usb,touchpad,keyboard (except FN keys) stopped working,even in bios..

This is a discussion on toshiba l500 ,usb,touchpad,keyboard (except FN keys) stopped working,even in bios.. within the Motherboards, Bios & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. someone gave me old Toshiba Satellite L505D , it has the following problems: all usb ,touchpad,keyboard don't work ... whether

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Corday
Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

someone gave me old Toshiba Satellite L505D , it has the following problems:

all usb ,touchpad,keyboard don't work ... whether in windows or even in bios..
the usb is dead..won't get any flash usb stick or mouse or usb keyboard to work... no light coming out of the flash drive or mouse...
keyboard won't work ,with the exception of FN keys... when i turn it on and press F2 it gets the bios... and on the bios i see the clock and date working ,but i can't go anywhere on the bios because no other buttons on the keyboard work,except the FN keys !

I took off the CM battery of the motherboard ,but it won't change anything except resetting the date...
I disconnected all the usb cables and the keyboard then reconnected them ..and nothing changed..
i took out the hard disk , installed another windows 8 ,and then coneected it... still the same... laptop would boot till windows and can't do anything else ....

any idea

thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

You seem knowledgeable and it's almost 10 years old. Perhaps just stripping it for parts to use in other units or to test with might be the best outcome.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
You seem knowledgeable and it's almost 10 years old. Perhaps just stripping it for parts to use in other units or to test with might be the best outcome.
I would like to add

when I turn on the laptop ,if I press "Caps Lock" key. the light of the key turning on and and if I press off ,it turns off... but after i press f2 to go into bios ...in goes there to the first page..and I see the clock working changing the time etc... but no up and down ..and even I can't change the caplocks from on to off or vice versa..

so I guess the keyboard is fine till the laptop gets into bios ....

idea? corrupted bios? but if that is true how could I flash it..if I can't use any usb ,or any keyboard?!! inside or outseide windows !!?

anyway to flash bios without usb ?

or flash it inside windows without keyboard or mouse?

that is the only choice left I think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

If the unit has A:(Floppy) or a built in CD drive (obviously not a USB one since the unit's USB is kaput) then something like this could be used: https://www.wimsbios.com/awardflasher.jsp
If you fry the laptop, it's not a big loss.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
If the unit has A:(Floppy) or a built in CD drive (obviously not a USB one since the unit's USB is kaput) then something like this could be used: https://www.wimsbios.com/awardflasher.jsp
thanx

the unit has built in CD drive ,and I did your advice and flashed a new bios,but the problem persists !!

now the dilemma ..whether it is a motherboard problem or keyboard+usb ports+touchpad ?

if the motherboard scenario is true,why the motherboard identify the cd drive ,rams ,hard disk ,the clock is working ?

if the keyboard+usb ports+touchpad scenario is true ,1- seems strange to malfunction all the three simply like that ! 2- why the keyboards works immediately after turning on the laptop and stop responding ,immediately after I click f2 ?
Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I'm moving to the Hardware Forum for more help.
caprireds likes this.

Old 08-01-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
Registered Member

thank you corday

just one update:

1- I tried to stick usb flash memory to both the 2 usb ports..and I noticed ,that when I put it all inside the port and move it a little backward ..the flash lights for 2 seconds ..but then the light gets off again ,with no sign of hardware identificaction on windows... if i stick it out and put it again,moving it in and out slightly ..happens the same thing exactly !!!

I put a usb mouse ..but it would never flash light whatever I do...
Old 08-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Ports might be worn out.

Closed Thread