Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

Toshiba A300 Laptop BIOS help

This is a discussion on Toshiba A300 Laptop BIOS help within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. however I've switched batteries numerous times and it doesn't make a difference with the one that works

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #21
Registered Member

however I've switched batteries numerous times and it doesn't make a difference with the one that works
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 PM   #22
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyhf412 View Post
however I've switched batteries numerous times and it doesn't make a difference with the one that works
Remove the batteries and plug in the AC adapters, then try turning them on.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #23
Registered Member

Does nothing. For both of them. Just powers on, no flash of the bios like before. It's hard to get the bios to flash even for a second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #24
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyhf412 View Post
Does nothing. For both of them. Just powers on, no flash of the bios like before. It's hard to get the bios to flash even for a second.
You keep trying to flash the bios, yet that could be far from the cause. Earlier on you mentioned moisture damage. Did they get spilled on or was it just speculative thinking? What's the history of these laptops before this problem arose? Were they in storage for a long time? Did they crash suddenly and won't turn on thereafter? Did the adapters seemingly fail and you got them replaced, but that didn't change anything... and so on. Briefly describe the events immediately before they started behaving this way. That will give us perspective and better insight into the problem, then we can advise accordingly. You may think it's a bios issue, yet it could be something else entirely.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:53 AM   #25
Registered Member

Hey, thanks for replying.

I've had these for about 10 years, and by damage I mean its possible the humid climate they were in caused problems, the software was having issues on them last time I knew. Could be bad graphics card too, as they were overloaded with heaps of software, I am not sure. Nothing was spilled on them.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:55 AM   #26
Registered Member

It's power issue/bios related I think, as it will power on for uneven intervals.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:56 AM   #27
Registered Member

Brand new adaptor, one of those multi fit ones. Works fine with the working laptop.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:10 AM   #28
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

If it's that old, it could be the Power button that has lost it's action over a period of time, just like it does on mobile phones..

Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 AM   #29
Registered Member

True that. I'll look into it.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:40 AM   #30
Registered Member

or the charging port?
Old 02-16-2018, 01:59 AM   #31
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Can't rule it out...

Could be the button, power brick, socket, pin, battery contacts etc..

If the laptops are 10 years old, I doubt if the CMOS would retain settings, so I'd have to figure out a way to get a new battery in there.

Button - for starters, quickly press and release the power button like 20-30 times, if there is any dust in the metal contact within the button or if the metal action is weak, chances are this gives you a little leg room to test if that is indeed the cause of the issue.

Power brick, pin - Best is to get a multi meter and test the connectivity to ensure voltages flow through these various points.

Power port - swap power bricks or cords and see if that makes a difference.

Battery, remove the battery, clean the contacts with an eraser, remove any debris and connect it back, be extra careful with the pins on the laptop and clean with the eraser so the contacts are shiny. Also use the multi meter to test the battery.

Do all of this and should help eliminate some points of failure.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:39 AM   #32
Registered Member

thanks. the power button works on a flex cable that attaches to the motherboard. when i get time i'll test the voltage to the mainboard and then potentially replace the power pin and power button.
Old 02-16-2018, 02:43 AM   #33
Windows Tech Team
Hardware Tech Team

Don't replace anything yet, if it's on a flex cable, better yet use metal tweezers and short the power switch (ensure your shorting the right pins) and see if you're able to power up, if this works, then go for the button replacement.

Old 02-16-2018, 02:49 AM   #34
Registered Member

ok thanks
Closed Thread