Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU

User Tag List

This might be bad....

This is a discussion on This might be bad.... within the Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I recently upgraded my PC and ever since I have been hearing a strange electrical sounding clicking noise coming

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 09:08 PM   #1

Hi,

I recently upgraded my PC and ever since I have been hearing a strange electrical sounding clicking noise coming from around the CPU

My upgrade consisted of

Chaintech VNF4 Ultra (Bios is at default settings)
AMD 3500+ 939 (havenít OC'ed it)
Leadtek PX6600gt THD Extreme (Comes pre OC'ed 580/1150)

My System specs

Chaintech VNF4 Ultra
AMD 3500+ 939
Leadtek PX6600GT THD Extreme
1GB OCZ PC 3200 (2x512 in dual channel OCZ4001024P3DC-K)
Western Digital 80gb 7200RPM 2mb - a little over 2 years old
Vantech "Stealth" 520w PS (VAN-520A) - less than 5 months old

I havenít overclocked anything, almost completely at default settings

The electrical clicking noise seems to be synchronized with the HDD activity light on the case. When the light flashes the clicking starts and as long as it stays lit the clicking continues. I have booted the computer with the HDD unpowered and the clicking persists. Also if the computer is left idle at the desktop the clicking noise follows a pattern, ever three seconds of so it will start then stop even if there is no activity on the HDD light.

On top of this my computer now randomly reboots. First the HD shuts down as if someone pulled the plug on it then my monitor flashes to the blue screen of death for less then a second, before it completely shuts down. Then the computer will reboot and start windows as if nothing happened.

These reboots tend to happen when the CPU is under a heavy load (e.g. playing games like UT2K4, multitasking, or burning a cd)

Also when the CPU is under a heavy load programs tend to have critical errors...this may be a separate issue though.

Until yesterday when I installed the parts I have had no problems with my HDD so I thing the problem could be bigger. I have updated and patched every piece of hardware in my computer and made sure all settings are at defaults, the only update I have not made is the beta bios patch for my MB.

I have no idea where to go next...any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2005, 10:00 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

it could be your motherboard earthing out on your case, maybe try setting your board up outside the case and see if you get the same problem
Old 01-27-2005, 10:07 PM   #3

Worth a try...I'll be back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #4

I did a google search and sure enough there were many others with the same problem as me. One guy even had the same Mobo. I'm going to RMA it as soon as possible; newegg is generally good with that kind of thing

Now I have to sit and wait with no PC
Closed Thread